First AG in the books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdillow

Reaction score
Brewed TwoHeadsBrewing Summer Citrus Wheat for my first AG. Why not go with wheat and risk a stuck sparge on my maiden voyage, huh? Started at about 2p with setup and heating mash water and pitched around 6:30. Glad it went so fast and smooth. Hit my OG of 1.050 and volume dead on. Beersmith calculated a 72% efficiency and I was aiming for about 70.

Quick observations:
1. Using a 4 cup glass measuring cup really helped to measure mash-in water.
2. Having enough forethought to mark my mash paddle up with gallon marks is a plus (used a scale, 8.345lbs per gallon). Need a more permanent marking system as sharpie marks faded some.
3. Had a boilover within seconds of hitting 212*. Need to get some Fermcap.
4. Having a chiller is the best investment ever. Cooled 5.5 gallons to 75* in about twenty minutes. Used hot water to totally clean the MLT.
5. RDWHAHB.:mug:

2. Having enough forethought to mark my mash paddle up with gallon marks is a plus (used a scale, 8.345lbs per gallon). Need a more permanent marking system as sharpie marks faded some.

Would carving a simple notch out of the paddle at each respective mark work for you? perhaps you could get creative and put a simple design at each gallon level.
even more creative although not sure if there would be any negative effect on the beer would be to either brand(hot metal) or do some sort of burn mark.

this is all assuming your paddle is made out of wood

Back