First AG, how efficient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Hi All,
I brewed my first AG last Sunday. It was a simple Hefe, 6lbs of german pilsner and 6lbs of german wheat malt.

The whole mash and sparge went very well. Mashed at 154 only lost 1degree over the hour, sparged at 170 for 10 minutes.

From the first runnings I attempted with my wine thief to get sample. Only got a small amount as there was only 3 gallons. I then waited till I had my full seven gallons after sparging. My reading was 1.060 temp of wort was 134 so adjusted OG was 1.075 it was supposed to be 1.049.

I put the sample in the fridge to cool it off, when the temp dropped to 90 the OG was 1.070 when the temp dropped to 78 the OG was 1.074 which doesnt make sense to me cause this changes the OG from the original. Any ideas ??
I forgot to take a reading post boil.

Slainte

Is it possible there were other dissolved solids in the hydro jar? Break material etc. otherwise I'm not sure.....but I will say I don't think that your efficiency was that high with a wheat on your first all grain....maybe. Probably not.

This is the third thread you've started talking about your first AG and frankly it's so hard to understand what you're doing and how you're doing it I don't know where to begin. Also I don't even know what you're asking for.

In your first thread I explained to you with this post that's it's not possible to get 1.074 out of 6 lbs of pilsner and 6 pounds of wheat.

?????

ETA: not trying to be a jerk. I want to help you but I'm not sure what you're after here.

Back