First AG & first 10 Gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellshooter

Reaction score
I have been calculating and recalculating and planning this for over a month.
Ok, so here is how it went. I heated 14 gallons of tap water up to 164 degrees and then pumped 5 gallons of it over to the 10 gallon ice chest mash tun (because I only have one brew kettle that big). I expected to have a temp of about 160 when it got there but it was only 157. So rather than run it back and reheat it I just dumped the grain in. This is an AHS Premium lager kit, actually two of them. So I had a mash temp of 147 instead of the 150 called for by the recipe. After an hour the temp was about 144.
So I heated the rest of the water up to 180 degrees and pumped 6 gallons up to my 10 gallon water cooler HLT. I wanted 8 gallons but the pump kept getting steam or vapor locked. I finally decided that would have to do. The PH in the mash tun was about 5.6, a little above the recommended 5.2. Then I started running the wort back to the BK. At the same time I ran my hot water from the cooler down to the mash tun, I tried to go slow and keep the volume in the mash tun constant, and stretch out the time. The recipe says 12 minutes per gallon, which would be 2 hours!! I didn't go that slow.
The objective was to sparge at 168 degrees. It was actually 164. I hoped to get 12.5 gallons back to the BK. I actually got about 11.75. After that I boiled out as usual, except a larger volume than ever. I chilled and pumped (because the BK is too close to the floor, I'm getting a wort wizard to take care of that) over into two PET carboys. Wound up with about 10 gallons total a little short, but not too bad. Chilled to 60 and set in my lager chest. Will pitch my starters later this evening, they have been in the lager chest for a couple of days. OG is 1.042, a little shy of the 1.044 calculated target but right on the recipe target.

So, since I mashed out at too low a temp, I'm going to get 'dry' beer right?

Sounds good. Yes, if you mash at a lower temp you tend to get less body, so it might be a little drier. We always throw a little hot water into the mash tun and slosh it around to heat it up first, then put in the main batch of water. This will get your mash temp up some.

Paul B

Back