First AG... F***

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger48

Reaction score
So I mashed in at 152 which wasn't too bad- I pre-heated the tun with some water in the bath tub. Well it probably wasn't enough because after 20 minutes the igloo was in the mid 140s. I added some more hot water from the kettle that I had going which brought it up close to my 150 goal. Finally I had doubled my water and still hadn't sparged so I just let it sit.

I went to take a grav reading and that is when I found out that the hydrometer that I recently bought after my other hydro broke is meant to measure proofs- not specific gravity. So, bad water temps ( a new digi thermometer is in the near future for a purchase) and the correct hydrometer. I'll also make sure to heat my mash tun much more before I dough in.

Good to learn from but goddamn I hate it when things don't come together.

On the flip side I also kegged my imperial IPA which is a delicious and well attenuated hop bomb.

Numbers aside, nothing matters until you taste it. I am willing to bet, it turns out to be one of your best brews yet. Keep your chin up mate.

I'm pretty sure we've all been in a similar frustrating position... but I think it's the best way to really learn. And yes, your brew may still be great.

Next time, instead of preheating your mash tun in the tub, bring your strike temp about 4 degress or so above what you need, and the mash tun will preheat using those extra few degrees. Then if its still too hot, just stir it a few times to bring the temp down before you pour in your grains....

Just an idea, seems to work for me.....

I have a 5 gallon cooler. I fill a tea kettle (regular size, maybe 2 qts) and boil it and pour it in the mash tun. I do this twice, then let the gallon or so of boiling water sit in the mash tun for a while, maybe 30 minutes. Then I pour it out, put all my gizmos inside the cooler, and let it sit for another 15 minutes or so to normalize the temps inside.

This works very reliably for me, except that I always hit my strike temps with 1-2 quarts less water than it's supposed to take, depending on the amount of grain. To make up the difference I add cold water to the strike water until it's the same as my target temp and pour some in. I have never lost temp with this method.

Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend putting boiling water in coolers because it warps the heck out of the plastic.

Take your calculated strike water up to about 175 or even a bit hotter if your cooler was sitting out in the cold. Put the water in and close the lid and wait 5 minutes. Open it up and stir until it hits about 167F and then add your grain.

I fill mine in the bathtub, let it sit for about 30 minutes while I heat my strike water.

When my strike water is at 172.......I dump the bath water out of the MLT, and refill it with my strike water minus 2 quarts. Turn the heat off on the HLT, and put a teakettle with 2 quarts on the stove just in case. Dump the grains on top of the water in my MLT, stir 'em up and put the lid on. Wait ten minutes, then take a reading with my digi thermometer in several places......I am usually at 152 degrees at this point......and just add my 2 quarts from the cooled HLT, which brings me to 153. If I came in low, I'll top off from the tea kettle........if I came in too high, I'll top off with tap water, but it very rarely happens unless I get side tracked or something......it's usually spot on 152.

If you end up using too much water to hit your temps (your mash is thin), add 30 minutes or so to your mash time.

I wouldn't recommend putting boiling water in coolers because it warps the heck out of the plastic.

Take your calculated strike water up to about 175 or even a bit hotter if your cooler was sitting out in the cold. Put the water in and close the lid and wait 5 minutes. Open it up and stir until it hits about 167F and then add your grain.

Well, Bobby was quicker on the draw and stole my answer. But this is what I did when I mashed in a cooler. Even now using a SS keg as my MLT, I just bump my strike temp by 10° and monitor and stir until is creeps down to my desired strike temp.

I would also suggest you get some brewing software, like Beersmith. These programs calculate what temperature you need the water to be when you add the grains. I've used this on my three batches and my mash temps have been dead on. Best purchase I've made.

I have a 10 gallon igloo cooler. I always preheat to 180 and let sit for 10 -15 minutes. Wait till my desired strike temp and add grain. Seems to work well for me...

I adjusted the strike water according to Beer Smith- I think this'll just be more pre-game preparation. The next AG batch will also be a barley batch to familiarize myself more with the process.

The beer is bubbling in the fermenter right now. I don't have much hope for it but at least it was an inexpensive experience.

Shockingly it's still bubbling away in the primary with a soapy white krausen. It's starting to smell a bit sulphury (not surprising with the yeast strain) but does surprise me that there were enough fermentable sugars in the wort. New hydro and thermometer ordered and on the way from B3.

so I'm fairly certain I got a bit of acetobacteria in the primary but it's hard to tell. It has this light beer twang to it, very little color, and a FG of 1.005. I think that because of the low grain bill I had a low SG but the WLP hefe shouldn't have attenuated very low.

I kegged it anyway if it's the same after carbonating I'll dump it or give it to some buddies with bad taste... the only problem is now they've developed better taste and this **** probably won't fly.

Back