First AG experience complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

flabyboy

Reaction score
Today was first AG brew day and I have to say it went very well. I did the Patersbier kit from NB. Took me 5 hours total doing a single infusion mash with 2 equal sparges and a 90 min boil. Had a nice 20 min cool without a chiller. 5 degrees outside:). I did a 90 min boil with a 7.5 gallon pre boil volume. When all was said and done, I ended up with exactly 5 gallons in the fermenter. My OG was 1.050, which was higher than the expected 1.047. I guess my efficiency was pretty good. The only thing that concerns me is I pitched the yeast a little cool at 62 degrees. It's optimum range is between 64-78 (Trappist High Gravity wyeast).

Overall it was a fun experience doing this with a couple buddies. I think I got one hooked:). Thanks to everyone on this site. I learned everything I needed to know from here. Guess it's time to become a premium supporter and pay for my education:mug:

step

Reaction score
Right on! Popped my AG cherry last weekend with a couple 3 gal batches, but just brewed a 5.5 gal batch of EdWorts pale. I had some homegrown hops so my batch total $13.50. AG is awesome!!!

:mug:

OP
flabyboy

flabyboy

Reaction score
Took amy first reading and taste after 2 weeks. FG was 1.008, which is what I was hoping for. Definately has the taste of a good Belgian ale. Wasn't very clear yet, but I plan on letting it sit for another 2 weeks in primary and maybe cold crashing it for a day or two. What a great first AG experience. Can't wait for the next one. trying to decide between doing Edworts Haus Pale Ale or Yoopers Fat Squirrel clone.