First AG done!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamopie2

Reaction score
Well all my reading and preparation paid off. Did my first AG today and got it into my carboy. For my first AG brew i decided on the red hook clone https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/captain-hooked-bitters-red-hook-clone-award-winner-29740/

I used beersmith to scale it down for a 5 gallon batch and i substituted Victory malt for the toasted malt. I used the 48qt coleman cooler with steel braid.
I used a double batch sparge and ended up with 6 gallons instead of 6.3 like i wanted. I am going to up the absorption rate of the grain next time and that should fix that. Well even with that I ended up with 77% efficiency and hit my 1.055 OG right on. I used the OG from beer smith.

All in all a successful brew day i think.

Undershooting a volume isn't usually a problem. If you check that volume and come up short, it's easy enough to do a quick heating on a gallon of water, dump it in the MLT, stir it up, and take a little more run off. I use beersmith also and have never had to tweak the absorption rate. The only numbers I have tweaked is the mash tun dead space.

that makes sense. I will try that if i come up a bit short again

It's a lot easier to top off after undershooting, than to wait through the extended boil from overshooting.

And congratulations!

Back