First AG Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I did my first AG batch yesterday, just a nice American Amber. I had a slew of problems: I missed my gravity readings by a ton (post boil target was 1.056, and I hit 1.045). On top of that, after I cooled with my IC, something came up and I had to leave. I didn't have a chance to put the beer in the carboy, and didn't pitch yet. The pot of cooled wort is in my laundry room, covered in tin foil, where it spent the night.

My questions are: is the major miss in SG going to kill the taste of my beer? and is my beer definitely infected? Is it worth racking to the primary and pitching? or should I just dump it and try again next week, hopefully without the major interruption?

Thanks for your help guys!

is the major miss in SG going to kill the taste of my beer?

Absolutely not. You're still within the style guidelines for an Amber. It may throw the IBU's a little out of balance, but you'll be fine.

is my beer definitely infected?

Probably not. Everything in your kettle should have been sterile from the boil. Just go ahead and pitch. Those yeasties will take care of business. :tank:

Don't feel bad. I brewed my first AG today and was supposed to hit 1.052 but reached 1.045 as you did. Its a learning experience just as my first extract was. :)

Well, I racked it to the primary today and pitched around 11am... nothing yet. I just used safeale-04 dry yeast, so I don't expect it to take too long. I'm hoping to have some action by the morning.

Try not to get discouraged. It takes a while to dial in your system (e.g. typical efficiency, boil off, etc.). With this hobby practice makes perfect......or at least practice makes better. Good luck and let us know if it got infected.

Ok, so quick update: The wort tasted fine and smelled fine and after an hour of sleep with the yeast overnight, she is starting to go! I think everything is going to be fine, I just hope that an infection doesn't wait to manifest itself. Is that possible? Can everything seem fine and then all go wrong? Or if my yeast is going, should I take that as a good sign?

I also just did an efficiency calculation on Beersmith... ugh. My total efficiency was 46.1% I'm embarrassed lol.

Back