First AG brew tomorrow, recipe advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony914

Reaction score
I have several extract brews under my belt so I felt its time to move to AG. Built myself a 10g MLT today so I'm going to brew my first AG batch tomorrow. Came up with the recipe below based off one that was available at my homebrew store. I used their grain bill but changed up the hops, they had 1oz of citra @ 60, 30, and minutes, I added the mosaic and nugget hops to try and make something along the lines of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA.

9.5 lbs 2 row pale
1 lb crystal 40l
.5 lb cara-pils

1oz nugget 14.9 % AA @ 60 min
1oz citra 14.5% AA @ 20 min
1oz mosaic 11.7% AA @ 20 min
1oz citra 14.5% AA @ 5 min
1oz mosaic 11.7% AA @ 5 min

Dryhop with 1oz citra, 1oz mosaic.

Any suggestions on the hop additions? Do you think I should do a hopstand with another oz each of citra and mosaic at 180*? I also have .5 oz of simoce and .5oz of nugget in the freezer that could be thrown into the mix somewhere.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

As long as you estimated your IBUs and they are where you want them, then I'd say it looks good

I can't say about the IBU's but my beers like this had a smoother bitterness and more flavor after I moved from a 20 min to a 10 min and flame out with chilling to 180* then either a stand of 20 min or a whirlpool. I've just upgraded to a counter flow chiller and pump, and whirlpooling is the best, all my beers are better.

A 10 gal tun is pretty big. How deep will your grain bed be? A shallow bed tends to run fast and channel easily, which results in low efficiency. It still works, but you need to throttle the outflow from the tun to stretch out the sparge.

I'm assuming you are fly sparging. If so then you should shoot for a total sparge time of about 45 minutes with a fast flow at the beginning and much slower at the end.

Back