First AG batch coming this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
So I have chosed to brew a pilsner for my first AG batch. It will also be the first pilsner I have ever done. Why not go for all the firsts in one batch? Picked up an external thermostat this weekend for the spare fridge as well.

The LHBS guy had what seemed like a great idea for a false bottom in my mash tun. I cut the bottom of a bucket out. Left it about 1.5 inches high and cut a groove out so it fits snugley over the valve on the inside of the tun. I drilled an hours worth of holes in the bucket bottom. I attached a pic of the bucket once i was done drilling. Has anyone else ever tried this? Your thoughts? Advice on a first AG and Pilsner brew? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
100_3903.jpg

i read in charlie papazian's joy of homebrewing 3rd edition book that this can be done. in actuality it's what i hope to do when i go off to AG.

i think he was saying to keep the holes in the bottom of the bucket though. you can use the edges of the bucket as a way to pull out the grain when it is stacked inside another bucket. my mental picture here is that you'll be resting the grain bed on this platform which is resting on the spigot. sounds a bit nerve racking to me since you'll be playing a balance game.

how are you going to rinse your grains if you can't pick that holey strainer up and out?

i read in charlie papazian's joy of homebrewing 3rd edition book that this can be done. in actuality it's what i hope to do when i go off to AG.

i think he was saying to keep the holes in the bottom of the bucket though. you can use the edges of the bucket as a way to pull out the grain when it is stacked inside another bucket. my mental picture here is that you'll be resting the grain bed on this platform which is resting on the spigot. sounds a bit nerve racking to me since you'll be playing a balance game.

how are you going to rinse your grains if you can't pick that holey strainer up and out?

My guess is he has a totally different bucket to drain too, so he drains from this bucket with the false bottom into a 2nd one and just sparges the one bucket.

I originally thought the same thing as far as putting it bottom down. But the LHBS guy said this would be better. The reason being is now I have 1.5 inches seperating the grains and the bottom of the bucket. I am riging a wire to the sides of the piece of bucket so I can pull it up easily. And the platform is actually resting on the bottom of the bucket flush. I just cut out a slot to fit over the valve so it does sit flush on the bottom. And I will just rinse the grains in place and remove the platform when I am done. I think it should work. Hope so anyways.

Dead on Priemus. I may be making thigns confusing with my wording. I apologize if thats the case. Still new at this AG thing.

Ive been brewing 3 years, still never done all grain :p

But Ive been reading forums long enough and often enough that I probably could tomorrow had I been provided the correct gear/SWMBO allowed me to purchase it ;)

Back