First AG attempt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klug

Reaction score
...and my first post! Hello all.

So I am trying to attempt my first AG today. I have been brewing extract and PM for a while and just put together an AG set up with a cooler tun and an 8g kettle.
Unfortunately I didn't realize that 8g was too small for my first AG batch. It is a strong british with 18# 2-row british pale and 2# of c120. I'm going to try for a mash temp of 153 with a 1.5:1 mash and a 90 min boil but my question is...

Should I bite the bullet and suffer the low efficiency or lower my grain bill and do a different beer (damn lol)

Now if I loose .1 gallon of water per pound of grain I will loose 2g but I still end up with 5.5g which leaves me with only 2g for sparge :eek:?!?!?!?

I'm stuck and if I want to brew this today (seems unlikely) I will need some advice. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure why you cant brew this recipe...how big is your MLT? If you're using a 10 gallon cooler, you should be just fine. 8 gal kettle is a little small for a full boil, but if you watch your temp like a hawk you can avoid boilover.

just did a tad over a 6 gallon boil today , no real problems. just have to watch your hot break and when you do hop additions. i had a nice rolling boil the whole time. i think its only a 7-7 1/2 gallon ss turkey pot

With that much grain I would end up with over 8g in the kettle. I was in such a hurry I didn't even check past threads so I do apologize lol (I did a quick search and there were a million "first attempt" threads lol)

It turned out great! I altered my recipe to accommodate the kettle and ended up the 7.5g in the kettle 5.5g in the carboy.
I am surprised that this was easier then I thought it would be. Now it's time to find a cheap keg I guess...

Back