First AG a success so far!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Thanks for all of your help first of all. I made a SA Noble Pils Clone using a decoction mash for my first AG brew. It's still in primary, but I took a hydrometer reading today to see how close I was to transferring. I'm still about 2 days from transferring, but I just have to say how AMAZING this turned out. I will NEVER go back to extract brewing. The decoction gave me exactly what I wanted: a super malty beer that is accented by the hops. I used so much information from separate parts of this website and a Czecherboard Pilsener recipe from More Homebrew Favorites. Here was my recipe I used based on other recipes I found:

10 lbs German Pilsener Malt
1 lb. Carapils Malt

Mix all 5 noble hops in a bag: 1 oz. Tettnang, 1 oz. Spalter, 2oz. Hallertauer Mittel (LHBS was out of Hersbrucker), and 2 oz of Saaz. Then I measured out

2oz. of mixture at 60 min.
1 oz. of mixture at 15 min. along with whirlfloc
1 oz. of mixture at the end of the boil.
2oz. of mixture for dry hopping

Starter of 1 qt. of WLP 802 - Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast

Procedure:
Heated 14 qts of water to 160 and placed 11 qts in mash tun to preheat for 15 min. Add the 11 lbs of grain to the 11qts. and let it rest at 140F for 15 min. Removed 6 quarts of the mash and placed it back into my brewpot with the remaining 3 quarts of water at 150F. Raised the temp to 162 while stirring constantly and held it for 10 min. Raised the temp. to boiling and boiled for 10 min. I then added this back to the main mash while stirring. (It got a little hot - about 175-180 but I had ice water on hand to bring it down to 154F). Once my temp stabilized at 154F, I held the mash temp for 75 minutes. Batch sparged with 175F water in lieu of mashout. I collected 6.5gal of wort (my efficiency isn't so great, but it's my first batch). I boiled it for 60 min adding my hops at the normal 60, 15, end schedule. I ended up with 4.5 gal. I chilled to 70F, pitched my yeast starter and waited for signs of fermentation. Placed my primary in my kegerator and slowly brought it down to 48-50F.

OG - 1.052

After my wife tried the sample we both agreed that we will never do extract again. This tastes just like SA Noble Pils. I can't even begin to tell you all how excited I am about the maltiness of this beer. Thanks again for everything everyone!

As long as the first one is good it means that I can get away with doing more!

Back