First - advice please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvin160

Reaction score
Hey all, first brew, first post.
So I brewed this kit from midwest:
Autumn Amber Ale - Amber Ales - Beer Recipe Kits - Brewing Ingredients

this yeast:
Munton and Fison Ale Yeast

and its been in primary fermentation for 3 weeks today. I seem to have two problems: expected FG is 1.010-1.012; I'm at 1.014. Also, I have "estery" smells - it smells like banana. :ban:

I don't have fermentation temp but the ambient was definitely between 63-70F. I have a cold, concrete-floored apartment, and at first was at probably about 63-66F range in one room. I thought it might be too cold so I moved it to a warmer room, probably closer to 68-70F. The other item is that I probably didn't aerate that well. I stirred, not that vigorously I guess, before pitching.

So, I don't think it was too warm because wouldn't I then at least be at my FG? Was it too little aeration or possibly questionable yeast?

Most importantly, what should I do? Anything to finish fermenting and get rid of banana smell, and will I get bottle bombs?

Thanks!

First, a 1.014 is pretty close. I would not worry about it. It should be done fermenting. I am guessing the banana smell could be some esters and aroma from the yeast. I have not used that yeast so I am not sure but I certainly have had beers that have a slight banana aroma and I am pretty sure it is from the yeast.

Your temps are fine for ales and with your FG being very close I think you are worrying about nothing. I do not put alot of stock in how my green beer tastes and smells. I would give it another week in primary and then bottle it for a couple of weeks and I bet you'll have a great beer!

Yea, probably your fermentation temps. Give it some time to clean up and some of that hsould fade. Definitely want your beers to be in the low 60s F (in the beer, not ambient) in the future. I'll bet it's tasty anyway. 1.014 is pretty close- if it's been there for 3-5 days, it's pretty much done.

Back