First 5 gal. batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricbucky

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sat. i brewed a Scottish ale, I did a 2.5 gal. boil I cooled the wort to aprox. 70 degrees and piched my yeast I think it was a windsor yeast.
the OG was 1.036 right in the range it was suppose to be. Sat. night I had activity airlock going crazy and a couple of inches of foam looks great. I had good activity all day sunday untill around 9:00 pm when I noticed no activity at all in airlock. the temp has been between 66-70F. which should be fine. Just curious why activity stopped so soon, instruction said between 5 and seven days it should stop. Then into secondary fermenter. Trying not to panic.

Any advice would greatly welcomed and Thank You

A relatively low OG, and relatively warm fermentation likely gave you a relatively short visible fermentation time. BUT..... fermentation is not complete. The yeast chomped on the easy stuff(simple sugars) and are now working on the more complex food.
So, leave it alone for the rest of the week. Then check a SG. Then give it a couple more days and recheck. Most likely you will be close to predicted FG. Then what you do depends on your feelings about racking to secondaries. You have a week to search around and read the thousands of opinions and decide for yourself. Good luck! :mug:

Latest posts

Back