First 10 Gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab1788

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be doing my first double batch tomorrow as I just got my four ring 75,000 BTU burner.
I have a 70lt BK and only a 26lt HLT and my mash cooler tun is apx 40lt.
My question is this, can I mash with 10 kg of base ( not sure on specialties yet but won't be heaps) with 26 lt of strike. Sparge with 26 lt then sparge again with what ever I need to get to pre boil. I was thinking maybe another 10 to 15 lt?
Will this work fine? This isn't my first AG batch so I'm not freaking out, just looking for some pointers or better methods that will work with my system.
Thanks in advance.

Gab.

In general you want to sparge with twice your mash water volume. Batch spargers use the mash volume twice, essentially, to rinse the grains in two steps.

I'm not great with quick metric conversions, but it seems like your mash volume of 26 is quite high. In SAE measurements we generally shoot for 1.25-2quarts per pound of grainto mash. I think closer to 15lt. would be best for mashing 10kg of grain.

You could probably sparge with just the 26lt. and a little extra (5-6lt) to get to the 11gallon mark, assuming you'll absorb some in the mash and boil some off.

tre9er said:
In general you want to sparge with twice your mash water volume. Batch spargers use the mash volume twice, essentially, to rinse the grains in two steps.

I'm not great with quick metric conversions, but it seems like your mash volume of 26 is quite high. In SAE measurements we generally shoot for 1.25-2quarts per pound of grainto mash. I think closer to 15lt. would be best for mashing 10kg of grain.

You could probably sparge with just the 26lt. and a little extra (5-6lt) to get to the 11gallon mark, assuming you'll absorb some in the mash and boil some off.

There are 2.2 pounds per kilo and a litre is pretty much a quart. So 10kg is 22 pounds. So by 1.25 quarts per pound you need 27.5 quarts to mash 22 pounds. So I think 26lt is actually going to be a thick mash.

Gab.

See, metric and me are not greatest friends! I knew a liter was basically a quart though

Ha ha, yeah you did say! No worries anyway.
I just set up my new stand and was about to start and our power went out. Means I can't use my march pump and I'm not too keen on trying to move 50+ litres around.
Oh well hopefully it will come back on soon anyway. Got some kegs to clean in the mean time though.

Gab.

Back