First 10 gallon batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
Celebrating my first ever 10 gallon batch in my new keggle.

Kept it safe with a SNPA clone. Also kegged my first full 5 gallon boil the same day, a Magic Hat #9 clone. The #9 clone turned out to be possibly one of my best home brews to date. Absolutely fantastic!

I expect I will drain most of that 10 gallons at a housewarming party coming up in June.

I was kind of stressing somewhat for a few reasons. First of all, I have a euro sanke keg (roughly 12 gallons and change), and when adding extracts there was almost 0 margin for error with the temperature control. Had one tiny little boil over but that was it.

Secondly, 10 gallons of boiling water just scared me. 5 gallons I can lift easily and is generally controllable. All went well though.

All in all a pretty good day.

:mug:

Hoping to do my first 10g soon to! I also have a Euro keg, but I think with fermcap it will be no problemo. Glad you got a kick out of it, I can't wait!

A part of me wishes I'd gone for the 15 gallon keg to have the extra space but the 12 gallon works pretty well. I basically killed the heat when adding my extracts and then was super careful. Both fermenters are happily bubbling away as we speak.

I suspect you'll want the extra space if you go to all grain.
My 8 gallon pot is a little small for 5g batches, since with all grain I end up collecting around 7.5g that reduces to 5.5g.
Once trick I use is gradually adding the last runnings as the water evaporates off.

My keg is 50 Litres, with is about 13.2 gallons. Gxm, why do you think it reduces more with all grain? Seems like the evap rate would be the same.. I did a 6.5g boil in my 7.5g pot on my last batch, and it worked out fine, with fermcap added.. I boiled off a gallon in an hour.

My keg is 50 Litres, with is about 13.2 gallons. Gxm, why do you think it reduces more with all grain? Seems like the evap rate would be the same.. I did a 6.5g boil in my 7.5g pot on my last batch, and it worked out fine, with fermcap added.. I boiled off a gallon in an hour.

Oh, I don't think AG boils reduce more.
I was assuming that someone doing a 10g extract batch in a 12g pot wasn't starting with as much volume as they would doing the same batch as AG.

Back