First 10 gallon batch - American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out here to see if anyone had any suggestions on process, if there's a big difference going from 5 to 10 gallons. I upped the grain by percentage, and it seems to be in the right ballpark. The IBUs come out to about 50, which is high for the style, but I'm ok with that.

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 4/26/2009
Style: American Pale Ale
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Volume: 13.60 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
Equipment: B3 1550

20.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
1.75 lb Carapils
1.75 lb Carastan
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk)(90 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (90 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk)(60 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe (60 min)
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) (30 min)
0.25 oz Simcoe (30 min)
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) (15 min)
0.75 oz Simcoe (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (10 min) Hops
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) (0 min)
0.50 oz Simcoe (0 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days)
22.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
White Labs #WLP001

I read on your blog this is the first time you will try fly sparging. I had low eff. trying to fly sparge doing 10 gals (55%). I went to batch sparging and got 80% doing 10 gals. I had problems with water temp and I'm sure channeling in the LT. If you have a false bottom then you should be ok. I think my problems extend from me having a manifold. Let me know how the eff works for you.

I went from 5 gallon extract w/ grains batches right to an 11 gallon AG and my brew day was awesome. Should be pretty easy for you to go 5 gal AG to 10 gal AG. Enjoy the extra beer.:mug:

I read on your blog this is the first time you will try fly sparging. I had low eff. trying to fly sparge doing 10 gals (55%). I went to batch sparging and got 80% doing 10 gals. I had problems with water temp and I'm sure channeling in the LT. If you have a false bottom then you should be ok. I think my problems extend from me having a manifold. Let me know how the eff works for you.

I definitely have that concern, and I will adjust hops accordingly when I take my preboil gravity. I am just wondering more about the malt profile. It seems to be a pretty straight step up from a 5 gallon batch, but I'm just being cautious.

With my 10 gallon batches I split heating the strike water across two burners so I am ready to dough in quickly. I also fly sparge directly to the kettle with the burner on low. Doing these things my brew day ends up being the same length as batch sparging 5 gallons.

My manifold gave me 89% efficiency on 10 gallons of Imperial Stout (OG 1.100) this weekend. I ranoff at 1 qt/min and used a strainer as my "sparge arm". :D

DSC01698.JPG

Back