First 10 Gallon AG Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I plan to brew my first 10 gallon AG batch this weekend. It's an IPA with 26 pounds of grains. Beersmith tells me to mash with 33.13 quarts (single infusion - full body - batch sparge). I have a 54 quart MLT. I have a 15 gallon keggle brew pot. I plan to split the batch into two fermentors and pitch two different yeasts, American Ale blend 060 in one and either 1056 or Ringwood in the other.

Any tips? I have done 7 or 8 AG 5 gallon batches. I think I have enough capacity in my MLT and brew pot.

Thanks.

Alan

One thing I would suggest is to see if you could switch to fly sparging. IMO fly sparging is way easier in 10 gal with less carrying hot water and less stirring the mash. This is how my fly sparging works:

29blk4h.jpg

2v286c8.jpg

2ag3r5i.jpg

jv672u.jpg

I just did a 60 Minute IPA with 26+ lbs of grain split between Ringwood and Chico yeast on Saturday. I usually try to get 11 gallons into the carboys. I usually get 70% efficiency with a single batch sparge but got 79% last weekend because I had to sparge twice to collect enough wort. You might want to check pre-boil gravity and add water or increase your boil time to hit your numbers. I ended up adding an extra gallon of water to lower my OG. I find it adds an hour or so to my brew day but I end up with a double batch which saves me 4 hours in the long run. Just make sure you like the style you're brewing. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

So what was your preboil volume target for that 60 minute IPA? The recipe I am using is similar to Yooper's 60 Min DFH IPA clone.

Alan

Depending on your system you will be at about 13 gallons pre boil if you are shooting for 10 - 11 into primary.

watch your boil closely especially at the hot break as you will be close. you can also invest in a product called fermcap which is a foam reducer. a couple of drops of this and it will greatly reduce your risk of boilover.

Back