firs steeping + extract + hops brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmpolesov

Reaction score
My first batch (pre-hopped kit) turned out fine so I am moving on to something more advanced.

This PM I did a recipe that calls for steeping grains, then adding liquid and dry malt extract, and three hops additions during a 1 hr boil. I did a partial boil, 3 gallons or so.

I've got it in the carboy now, just waiting. I did notice two things:

1) I didn't fully mix it well enough to get an accurate OG reading. Any tips here other than full boil?

2) There's stuff floating, suspended in the wort. I'm assuming it's normal, bits of hops, coagulated stuff, etc. and that I didn't scorch it or anything like that.

Don't worry about the hydrometer readings on this one. It will still work okay, just be patient. One week in primary and another week in the secondary and then bottle. Two weeks in the secondary would be better. Fermenting wort has all kind a stuff in it. Cool, right! Welcome to HBT!

1. Stir better, but the yeast will find everything ok.
2. Floaties - grain bits, hop bits, etc. They will settle out.

Yep 12hrs later it's fermenting - 1-2" krausen on top.

The thing about the floating stuff, the beer differentiated into two layers when I filled the carboy last night. Top layer relatively clear, bottom layer darker with all the stuff in suspension.

Fermentation has not yet picked up to the point that it mixes the contents completely, it's still differentiated, but I'm sure it will pick up.

In the Palmer book one technique they suggest is add 3 gallons water to the carboy first, shake it like crazy to aerate, then add the wort after the water. They say start the boil with 3 gallons and you'll have about 2 when it's done (boil-off). That would probably get a better mix and aeration and you don't hurt yourself trying to shake a heavy full carboy. Maybe I'll try that next time.

EDIT: btw I am making 'nearly nirvanna pale ale', similar to this

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-000767.php

just a couple minor changes from that link (6 lb liquid plus 1 lb dry malt extract).

Anyone tried it?

Boy I'm glad I didn't futz around with the airlock and went straight to the blowoff tube for this batch because it was belching up a storm out the tube in less than 24 hrs. It's fermenting nicely, now I just sit back and let the yeast do the work while I drink my last batch (coopers Australian pale ale)

$7/pack for that wyeast 1056 (i think it was). I see that some of you harvest your prior batch's yeast, I may do that too to get my $/batch down.

based on that recipe (and assuming you ended with 5 gallons in the primary), your OG is 1.055

you really can't have an incorrect OG with extract, all of the sugar is there

:mug:

Back