Firmzilla question - collecting yeast/trub from bottom jar....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
(see attached) Maybe a simple newbie question. I can't find any video specifically showing this step.

But If i want to dry hop. Do I close the bottom off and release the yeast trub jar and wash it out? Not sure exactly how to close it off yet.

I understand the part about filling the jar up with hops and purging it with CO2 before releasing the valve to drop the wort/beer in. But what is the process before that?

Also, I ordered the pressure kit so I can eliminate oxygen. Sounds awesome

Attachments

• firm-hbt.png
    firm-hbt.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 14
Also, should i "burp" some extra CO2 into the firmzilla? I'm a little concerned about the large headspace. Hopefully the fermentation pushed all the oxygen out

Hey. I did something wrong. I tried to dry hop like this video. I close off the value and emptied the yeast jar, cleaned it and added dry hops. I screwed it back on. Connected the CO2/gas connector with the black screw cap on the other side. Tightening the jar on snug (with lube). When I turned on the gas (5 psi) the firmzilla started filling up with bubbles (a lot) even though the value was still shut. I had it closed for 5 mins with no leaks. Why would this happen? Isn't pressure supposed to build up inside the jar? I was trying to purge out the oxygen before opening the value. But that didn't work. It started pushing air into the beer/firmzilla.

Fermentation is still active. Hopefully I didn't cause oxidation off flavors. Any thoughts? Great videos btw

Hey. I did something wrong. I tried to dry hop like this video. I close off the value and emptied the yeast jar, cleaned it and added dry hops. I screwed it back on. Connected the CO2/gas connector with the black screw cap on the other side. Tightening the jar on snug (with lube). When I turned on the gas (5 psi) the firmzilla started filling up with bubbles (a lot) even though the value was still shut. I had it closed for 5 mins with no leaks. Why would this happen? Isn't pressure supposed to build up inside the jar? I was trying to purge out the oxygen before opening the value. But that didn't work. It started pushing air into the beer/firmzilla.

Fermentation is still active. Hopefully I didn't cause oxidation off flavors. Any thoughts? Great videos btw
Odd. From the description, it would sound like the butterfly valve is leaking. Was it closed all the way? You can close it enough to get it to be liquid tight without it being closed completely. You should feel it kind of lock into place when it's completely closed. I could be wrong though, definitely reach out to Kegland, their customer service is pretty solid

Odd. From the description, it would sound like the butterfly valve is leaking. Was it closed all the way? You can close it enough to get it to be liquid tight without it being closed completely. You should feel it kind of lock into place when it's completely closed. I could be wrong though, definitely reach out to Kegland, their customer service is pretty solid

Thanks. Yeah a guy on youtube said the same. Maybe it wasn't closed complete even though I thought I pull the lever pretty tight. I should have tested all this with water 1st. Hopefully no off flavor.

Back