Firmzilla, non-pressure transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheInnKeeper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Whats the best way to do a normal transfer from the bottom of the Firmzilla, ideally something large enough to let the spent yeast drain and settled dry hops off too?

I'm used to my catalyst than has the special conical fitting for transferring to keg from the bottom

I ask because my fermentation area isn't anywhere near my co2 tank :-(

Thanks in advance

Is the bottom of it threaded for the same ball jars? If so the Catalyst piece should go right on.

I'm not too familiar w/ the Fermzilla just remembering it has a decent sized collector. Hope that I'm not way off base.

Might also consider drilling for a valve for next time?

Is the bottom of it threaded for the same ball jars? If so the Catalyst piece should go right on.

I'm not too familiar w/ the Fermzilla just remembering it has a decent sized collector. Hope that I'm not way off base.

Might also consider drilling for a valve for next time?

Ugg I wish it was, I love the fact that the catalyst uses standard mason\ball jars :-( in fact if they would just make a 15 gallon catalyst I would buy it tomorrow............

Buy an extra one of their proprietary collection jars and then drill a hole and install a spigot into it?

Yea thats not a terrible idea, was hoping to avoid having to do this but I don't see why that shouldn't work, just wish they sold something specifically for simple gravity transfers.

When I am trying to do a transfer and don’t want to have to move everything over to where my gas is (or disconnect my gas and move it over) I just put a screw on ball lock on a 2l pop bottle and fill it with gas, I then connect it to my spunding valve and spunding valve goes to gas in on the fermzilla, voila! Pressure transfer without having to move your gas. Refill pop bottle as/if necessary to complete transfer.

When I am trying to do a transfer and don’t want to have to move everything over to where my gas is (or disconnect my gas and move it over) I just put a screw on ball lock on a 2l pop bottle and fill it with gas, I then connect it to my spunding valve and spunding valve goes to gas in on the fermzilla, voila! Pressure transfer without having to move your gas. Refill pop bottle as/if necessary to complete transfer.

Interesting, guessing you must have bought some additional fittings to make this work with your spunding valve?

Interesting, guessing you must have bought some additional fittings to make this work with your spunding valve?
Nope, just the same pieces would need for reg spunding valve use, just with longer line. All pieces in order: 2 lt pop bottle, kegland plastic bottle post, gas disconnect, duotight ffl, eva barrier, kegland bowtie spunding valve, eva barrier, duotight ffl, gas disconnect hooked up to gas in on fermzilla lid.

Back