Firestone Walker Opal recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would try something like this:

60% weyermann pilsner
30% wheat malt
10% unmalted wheat

Mash 60 min @145ºF
20 min @161ºF <---this is how FW dry their beer tipically

Hop schedule:

8 iIBUS amarillo + 8 IBUS styrian @FWH

2.5 IBUS amarillo + 2.5 IBUS styrian @15 min, @10, @5 and @ 0 min... in order to complete 35 IBUS or so

fermentaion....

Lallemand belle saison starting from 62ºF and let it raise free...

dry hop with hallertau blanc for 4 days at secondary

any other advise?

Love the Opal and I am planning on making a clone. How did yours turnout can you offer any advice?

I made this saison a couple months ago and it tasted exactly like opal... Cheers!

76% belgian Pilsner
19% Munich I
5% Corn Sugar (this helps the beer dry out)
Apollo hops at 60 to get 26 IBUs
add Willamette in the whirlpool and beersmith says that is about 2 IBUs. If I scale it down to a 5 gallon batch that is about .4 of an ounce and we let that reast in the whirlpool for 30 min.
We use WLP-565 and ferment for 24-48 hrs at 64 and then let the temp rise on its own until it hits 74 and we let it finish out there. This beer normally finishes at 1.006.

I'm thinking the key to getting it close to Opal is yeast strain & handling and the hallertau blanc dry hop of course. Grain bills of really good saisons are typically very similar since they are all so simple (large % pilsner, few lbs adjuncts, bit of sugar)

I would think WY3711 would be the best yeast choice and let it run into the mid 80s to dry it out as much as possible.

That dry hopping ain't necessary. Just follow the recipe I give u and I guarantee you'll taste opal.. Don't even need the exact hops

Back