Firestone Double Jack Clone... questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
For my second BIAB brew I would like to try this double jack clone recipe: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/11/ipa-clone-series-firestone-walker.html

When I put this recipe into Brewers Friend it comes out to close to 300 IBU while the clone recipe says ~100 IBU. The recipe does not state the AA% of the hops, so I'm using the default values in Brewers Friend. However, I have heard that there is little difference in perceived bitterness above ~100 IBU. So should I be worried? Or should I tone back the bittering hops to get around 100 IBU?

What is a substitute grain for Simpsons Caramalt?

It says to mash at 145F for 60min, then 155F for 10 mins. What is the purpose of this 2-step mash temp? 145F seems awfully low.

Anyone?

I'm worried about the low mash temp. Seems like it would create a highly fermentable wort that will make for a very dry beer.

I wouldn't worry about the calculated IBUs. Its pretty hard to get more than 100 actual IBUs in a beer, so the calculated value can be way higher.

As for the Caramalt, any English crystal close in color should do, really even just American crystal. With only 5oz in a 6 gallon batch, you're really just using for color. Any flavor difference in in a substitute will be very subtle behind all those hops anyway.

There are a couple reasons for the mash temp being so low. They don't use any sugar to help dry it out like a lot of DIPAs, its all malt. Plus they use something like WLP002, which isn't a high attenuating yeast. Mashing so low helps to keep the beer dry and easier drinking.

Double Jack is a great beer, good luck with your clone!

I wouldn't worry about the calculated IBUs. Its pretty hard to get more than 100 actual IBUs in a beer, so the calculated value can be way higher.

As for the Caramalt, any English crystal close in color should do, really even just American crystal. With only 5oz in a 6 gallon batch, you're really just using for color. Any flavor difference in in a substitute will be very subtle behind all those hops anyway.

There are a couple reasons for the mash temp being so low. They don't use any sugar to help dry it out like a lot of DIPAs, its all malt. Plus they use something like WLP002, which isn't a high attenuating yeast. Mashing so low helps to keep the beer dry and easier drinking.

Double Jack is a great beer, good luck with your clone!

Thanks for the feedback! I intend on using WLP001 since it's what I have on hand. Should I mash a little higher? My last batch of IPA with 001 attenuated very well, 80+%, although it was a much lower OG than this.

Thanks for the feedback! I intend on using WLP001 since it's what I have on hand. Should I mash a little higher? My last batch of IPA with 001 attenuated very well, 80+%, although it was a much lower OG than this.

I think the English yeast is a major component of the FW house flavor. I've tried the Wookie Jack clone recipe with different yeasts and the 002 really makes it pop. It is also highly flocculant which makes sense for Double Jack.

I think the English yeast is a major component of the FW house flavor. I've tried the Wookie Jack clone recipe with different yeasts and the 002 really makes it pop. It is also highly flocculant which makes sense for Double Jack.

Hmm okay, I'll see if the LHBS has some. I've used 002 before on a Union Jack clone, came out nice.

Getting ready to brew a Double Jack. I picked up my grains and hops but they didn't have the 002 yeast and none will be coming soon. Is there any subsitute? Help..

Getting ready to brew a Double Jack. I picked up my grains and hops but they didn't have the 002 yeast and none will be coming soon. Is there any subsitute? Help..

If they carry other White Labs yeast, I really liked the 007 Dry English ale in an IPA I did, so that would be good. If they only have Wyeast, the 1968 London ESB is what I see on Mr Malty's yeast comparison chart, http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm I haven't used it, but I'm sure its in the same ball park.

Mash temps for double jack are 145 for 60 and 155 for 10.
Union Jack has 2 dryhop additions while Double Jack has 3 dry hop additions of pellet hops. (was told this by Matt Bryndilson)

If wlp002 is not avaliable use wyeast 1968. Wlp090, wlp007, wyeast 1056, even wyeast 1272 would all probably make good maybe great beer but it won't be close to doublejack.

Scott's clones are awesome not sure why he has 4 dryhop additions... maybe I was told misinformation ... possible but doubtful as Matt B. Seemed super down to earth and wasn't hesitant talking about the beer. I will never forget that beer dinner at Euclid hall.

Back