Firestone Double Barrel Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I was just listening to the Jamil Show's podcast on the Firestone Double Barrel Ale. They spoke with brewmaster Matthew Brynildson who gave out a ton of information on how they make their DBA. Here's what I came up with (before I got to the portion of the podcast where they formulated a recipe). (Percentages are what Brynildson says their recipe is (although he did only say 84% is pale malt, and that's split 80/20 between US and Marris Otter)).

5.5 gal batch @ 75% efficiency
aiming for 5% abv, about 1.051

7 lb US 2-row (67%)
1.75 lb Marris Otter (17%)
11.5 oz Munich Malt 10L (7%)
10.5 oz Crystal 80L (6%)
3.5 oz Crystal 120L (2%)
1.5 oz Chocolate Malt (1%)

1/8 oz Magnum 14.6%AA @ 60 min
1/2 oz EK Goldings 4.8%AA @ 30 min
2.5 oz EKG 4.8%AA @ 5 min
2.5 oz Styrian Goldings 4.8%AA @ 5 min

WLP005 or Wyeast 1028

Mash in at 145 for 60 min, raise to 155 for 15 min, mash out at 168
Ferment at 66
Medium toast oak cubes for two weeks in primary (Brynildson says they ferment for one day in steel then transfer to the oak barrels until they reach terminal gravity, thus I put the cubes in the primary).

I find the hop schedule to be very interesting because he said they add 5 IBU of Magnum @ 60 min, then 5 IBU of EKG @ 30, and then another 20 IBU from Styrian/East Kent mix added during the whirlpool. I think the best way to achieve those last 20 IBU would be a 5 min addition. But I'd love to know what people think.

I brewed this a few weeks ago with some minor tweeks (fuggles instead of styrian goldings and a little more at the 30 minute addition and a tiny bit less at the 5 minute addition.) I also used chips instead of oak cubes (LHBS didnt have cubes). I just tasted this as I transfered into my conditioning vessel. Holy crap it is amazing.

I'm looking to do a 10 gallon batch. Curious on the oak chips too. Using 5 gallon buckets for fermenters. How much oak into each fermenters? I was thinking 2oz in EACH fermenter for two weeks???

Any other updates on this recipe?

I am interested in brewing this as well using a freshly dumped whiskey barrel I'm picking up this weekend. Any suggestions for when and for how long to incorporate the barrel?

Back