Firestone Challenger Parts - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
I recently acquired several Firestone kegs that are of the older type and can't seem to locate where I can get these parts. I have pictures below.

Firestone1.jpg

Firestone4.jpg

This is the kegs connections they came off of.
Firestone3.jpg

Firestone2.jpg

Those at Midwest show the new style Firestone Keg parts, not the older one as shown in the pictures.

The older style have a nylon seal on the gas side and a tubular seal on the liquid side with a flat gasket on the lid. It is hard to see in the pictures but there are no "O" rings there.

This is what I picked up from a thread on this last week.

The plastic dip tube can't be replaced; they aren't manufactured anymore. Don't pitch it.

The white nylon spacers: Here

The poppets: Here (I think these are the ones... they certainly look like them)

I haven't seen anything about the o-rings. The post ones are the same, and I haven't tried the large one yet. The dip tube ones are definitely different, but I haven't found a source for them yet. Anyone else?

another thread here mentions drilling out the gas side to accept the metal gas dip tube. I have one similar to your picture and I plan to drill it tonight. I did come across a plastic dip tube for it in another keg I recently bought but I'd rather have the metal one. The Williams site does have a god description of the posts. I like that they list the thread sizes.

Please report back on how the drilling goes. I have an extra gas dip tube and would be glad to get rid of that plastic one.

Why do kegs even have gas dip tubes? Seems to me that you only need a dip tube for the liquid side, and just need a sealed opening for the gas in.

I have kegs with both plastic and steel varieties of gas-in tubes and have to confess that I hadn't realised that the steel ones weren't a straight substitute for the plastic ones. However, I suspect that you could do away with the in diptube altogether if you piled two or maybe three of the diptube washers up.

I just got an order of the Nylon inserts and new posts from williamsbrewing.com, and have found that they do not fit. They are too tall (inserts and posts) and the posts don't screw onto the keg. When I hold the old and new side by side, you can see the difference in height (old on the right). It looks more like a Firestone V, but isn't I don't think...
DSC001341.JPG

Here you can see the difference in the nylon insert. I thought at first the old was just worn, but it is shorter.
DSC00137.JPG

You can also see the busted poppet from the new post - not sure if I can still use it. The site said for older Firestone with no V or VI imprint on the keg which is what I have:
DSC00121.JPG

I'm thinking of shaving down the new isert to the smaller height - anyone know for sure if that's the right size? I bought 6 and two more came with the new posts, but hate to screw them up. Also - in the post above you mention only in the gas line, but I had them in both sides.

I got a set of the inserts the other day and thought that they were too tall too, but I was able to get the threading started and cranked down on them. I think that they're supposed to work like those crushable nylon washers on a regulator. You crank them down once and then forget about them. I was able to completely tighten the posts with some elbow grease. And they do go on both sides.

That said, I'm using that keg for holding sanitizer for my own use instead of beer for the time being.

I'm glad someone started a thread about these kegs, I have one also, and have had absolutly no luck finding parts. I subscribed this thread, hopefully one of us can source some parts.

I'm glad someone started a thread about these kegs, I have one also, and have had absolutly no luck finding parts. I subscribed this thread, hopefully one of us can source some parts.

Which parts are you looking for? Most are listed in this thread.

Williams Brewing seems to have most of what's needed.

I made a post here that may have what you're looking for.

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the poppets, but I've been able to use the ones that were already on there.

Which parts are you looking for? Most are listed in this thread.

Williams Brewing seems to have most of what's needed.

A lot of the stuff from williams doesn't fit these kegs. I personnally have my one keg working for now. I am just concerned about when either A: the gas tube cracks, or B: the white "gaskets" quit working. I subscribed this thread just to keep track of the progress people make with sourcing parts in case I have a problem in the future.
:tank:

I'm pretty sure you don't need the gas tube, but others have had success with drilling out the hole and using a SS tube. The seal is actually made on the SS face around the gas tube, not the gas tube itself. Even if the tube is cracked, it should still work. I just put a little keg lube on it, and it keeps it to where I can push it in and out without too much trouble (no worries with cracking).

I was able to make the Williams gaskets fit. Yeah, they're probably taller than they should be, but they're nylon so they do give. I got the threading started and then took my 7/8" box wrench and started cranking down on them. They tighten pretty "easily" (read: not easy, but not impossible) and then they get tough to move after a certain point. That's where I stopped. I've got pressure on one now, and I'll update if it's still holding pressure in a week.

I guess I can be part of the experiment to see if the Williams "gaskets" work long term.

Oh man - I need to get these working before next Wednesday. Post back if you are still holding pressure on Tuesday. I'll follow what you said and try them on the new and old posts. I have two of these and an old John wood that supposedly uses the same parts. I haven't been able to get the posts off of that one, since it's beat up and the rubber is too close to where the wrench has to go - gotta get a socket to get those off.

I couldn't get threading going with the new taller inserts, so I shaved them down (hand planer, then sandpaper to smooth it out) and that seems to work.

I couldn't get threading going with the new taller inserts, so I shaved them down (hand planer, then sandpaper to smooth it out) and that seems to work.

Can you tell us which of the posts in my pic above would you say are like your posts? (red or black) I couldn't get it started with either and want to be sure I'll get it the right height.

I've been fighting all morning to get that sucker in the post. The other side is a bit larger and seems to fit perfectly. I can feel it cinching down as it is screwed down. Maybe I'll sand the stubborn one down - I recall when removing the old ones I had the same issue - one fell out the other had to be pried out.

As a follow up, it was still holding pressure today. I only had 10psi on it originally with about 2 inches of headspace, so if there was a leak, it would have been empty by now. So it held for 6 days before I released it.

Good luck getting these things to work. I hate them.

I finally took the end of a socket wrench and knocked the stubborn one in. It worked like a champ! Kudos for the link and to Williams. Unfortunately, these wont fit into the old standard short posts without some sanding. For me, I'm spending another $24 to Williams and get two more new posts and save the hassle.

FWIW - when you order new posts, you get all new poppets, rings, and inserts together - so that makes it simple...

Mine's holding pressure like a champ - and I'm carbing Apfelshchorle in that puppy.

thanks again

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but any one know where to get the plastic feet on the bottom of the legs on the Corney lid? Mine disintergrated and I am left with the stainless steel legs and not enough height to seal the lids in the keg.

Don't mean to hijack a thread, but any one know where to get the plastic feet on the bottom of the legs on the Corney lid? Mine disintergrated and I am left with the stainless steel legs and not enough height to seal the lids in the keg.

Williams carries those too, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. Probably not worth putting together an order for $2.50 worth of parts.

RED KEG CLAMP FOOT @ Williams Brewing

Anyone following this thread seen sources for a replacement lid? My John Wood blue plastic lid has cracks in it and are not holding pressure. I'm hoping one of these Firestone lids would be available somewhere.

TIA

bumping this because i have issues with these posts...

is the basic message here that getting new posts will give you the best restults? either that or shaving down new nylon inserts?

Did you end up getting the new posts, and did they work? I have a leaking poppet, and thought the ones on Williams were correct - but they weren't. I'm about to cry uncle and just buy the new posts... That is, if they work.

Yeah they worked great for me. I had to really push down and grind it on one side since they plastic spacers are so tall, but the complete set gets you back into business quick without worrying about what's not going to work next. It's worth the cash and who knows how long they will be around for sale now. You should go for it on at least one.

I know this thread is old, but I was so happy to find it... I was given a Challenger A by a friends dad. The info made the surprises I found on it make more sense.

I just ordered 4 nylon inserts and two poppets from Williams Brewing. I will probably just take the gas-in tube out of the body and keep it somewhere safe - I see no real reason that the gas needs to enter the keg one inch lower than the lid. (although, it looks like CHI Company is milling their own version of this tube...)

Once I get a reply regarding size from CHI Company, I'll be ordering a replacement lid and PR valve.

I'll be in for $35, so this thing better hold pressure when I'm done!

Back