Fire!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treydobass

Reaction score
Anyone ever experience accidental fires while brewing? Propane tank, gas stove, electrical stove? Had a scare yesterday while brewing an Alt and a Hefe and wondered if anyone's ever had anything bad happen that the rest if us could learn from.

Was sweating pipe building a manifold for my Mash tun and caught some plywood and cardboard on fire on accident. Worst deal I've had besides some flash fires lighting my burner and losing all the hair on my hand multiple times.

i melted through he hose on my KAB 4. too low of pressure to make it scary but it sucked that I melted through the hose. Those aren't cheap to replace since its a wierd size hose/clamps etc.

My original burner on my turkey fryer had been exposed to the elements in the backyard for quite some time and it had rusted up pretty bad. First time using it for a brew I couldn't get a good burn no matter how high I turned it up. At one point I had a flame coming out of the air disk where the regulator hose goes in. Turned it way down at that point and limped through the rest of the (not quite) boil. Got a replacement cast iron burner from Bayou Classic and it works like a champ now. I also ended up with a quarter inch of soot on the bottom of my brew pot after that first brew.

On my first full boil, I set a towel on fire. When I took the kettle off the burner to add LME, the handles were too hot to handle. Not having pot holders handy (in the garage), I grabbed a towel and apparently got too close to the flame on my burner. The handles never got hot when I was doing partial boils = I now own Ove Gloves.

Was being inattentive on my last batch and melted my new BIAB bag. Nothing dangerous though- always keep a fire extinguisher around, folks.

A while back I caught my MLT insulation on fire....flame was just a wee bit too high....

Almost melted my propane hose the other day. I always keep a fire extinguisher around just in case.

A while back I caught my MLT insulation on fire....flame was just a wee bit too high....

I had this happen last winter. Had Reflectix wrapped around the HLT to speed up heating and reduce losses but as it heated up it expanded enough to just slide down the keg and catch a flame. That stuff STINKS when it burns!

burned a hole in my garden hose connecting my IC - placed the IC in just before flameout and the hose fell too close to the flame - scared the **** out of us when it started spraying water everywhere lol

Back