Finishing in Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackZX3

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Witbier. After a week in the secondary can I transfer the beer to a Corney and let it finish out at a bit over 55 degrees until it is ready to drink?

I can't back my answer with any experience, but I've heard of people skipping the seconodary on a wheat beer and go straight to keg (or bottle). At my HB meeting last week, someone came in with a wheat beer exactly 2 weeks from brew date. I think they're intended to be consumed young.

That said, I've been horribly lazy lately and haven't moved my wheat from secondary to a keg. I'm hoping I can swirl the thing around a few times before I transfer and redistribute some of the yeast....

I hope so anyway.

kvh

In my humble opinion cornie kegs make great secondaries to begin with so I'd say yes.

I almost always go directly from the fermenter to cornie, but never make Wits. Since clearing isn't an issue, why not?

Is a ferment lock somehow needed? I figured on tranfering into the cornie, then hooking it up to co2 with the lid off and flush out the air on top with co2. Would it be ok to seal it up then while it has 0 pressure but all co2 inside and let it ferment, or do I need to have an air lock to let future co2 out? Any idea what the max pressure the co2 will still be able to ferment at? I plan on letting it ferment until the day before a party and then force carbing it.

you don't need an air lock. It will be fine, BUT you prolly really don't want to wait till the day before to carb it. You will have a flat beer with a great head. You would be better off hooking the gas up at least 4 or 5 days before the party. I force carb all the time, but after the 1st day, i dial it back down to serving pressure and let it sit a minimum of 5 days. Usually 10 though.

Also, by the time you hit the secondary, there really isn't any fermentation taking place. The yeast are just cleaning up after themselves. It is more for clearing and conditioning.

Back