Finishing a saison with US-05

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

allanmac00

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of fermenting a saison using the notoriously fickle WLP565. I've gotten it down to 1.020 from 1.060 after two weeks. I have it going at 85F, and I still expect some drop in gravity. But I want to have some backup on hand in case I can't get it down any more. I was thinking US-05, but I have some questions.

Is this a good yeast to use for this purpose?
Will there be enough fermentables left?
Do I need to rehydrate the yeast (believe it or not I have never used a dry yeast before).

Thanks!

smizak

Reaction score
Make a starter of Wyeast 3711 and pitch it. Just be careful, it might start fermenting your carboy, that stuff is a beast. :D

I have a saison in primary right now that got a blend of Wyeast 3724(WLP565) and 3711. It's at 1.004 after two weeks. I only pitched a half smack pack of 3711, and it finished it off strong.

Austin_

Reaction score
Every time I've used WLP565 it has taken almost a month to reach its FG. I usually ferment it around 80-85 and swirl it every once in a while. I say just give it some time.

OP
allanmac00

allanmac00

Reaction score
Make a starter of Wyeast 3711 and pitch it. Just be careful, it might start fermenting your carboy, that stuff is a beast. :D

I have a saison in primary right now that got a blend of Wyeast 3724(WLP565) and 3711. It's at 1.004 after two weeks. I only pitched a half smack pack of 3711, and it finished it off strong.
Why would a starter be necessary? I was kind of hoping to just drop something in to finish the job. Any thought son whether the US-05 would work here, taste-wise?

ChshreCat

Reaction score
The problem with finishing it off with something like US05 is that it won't dry it out like a saison should be. A good saison yeast can finish ten points or more lower than US05 will take it.