Finished My First Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
So I just finished up my first batch of beer, its a Boulevard Wheat Ale clone. I think everything went fairly smooth. One of the only problems I had was that my wort never really came to a hard boil, it had a steady rolling boil the full hour. Another problem I had was that when I chilled my wort, I let it get a little colder than I should have. I think it was low 60's when pitched the yeast, is that going to affect the beer very much? And the gravity was right around 1.063 and the recipe said it would be 1.065, so I figured that would be good. I tasted the beer after I took my reading and it didn't taste bad so I figured thats a good start. It tasted a little watery, maybe I didn't get it mixed in good with the wort. Any words of wisdom or tips are greatly welcome.Thanks

Sounds like a good brewing session to me. My first brew was a Hefeweizen (wheat ale) and it came out great! I never came to a rolling boil and I never took an accurate O.G. reading. The beer would have probably tasted much better if I had done things correctly, but then it was my first brew and I learned and very much enjoyed the end result. It came out much better then I thought it would. After that I was and still am hooked.

And the gravity was right around 1.063 and the recipe said it would be 1.065, so I figured that would be good.
Very much close enough.

I think it was low 60's when pitched the yeast

It might take some extra time for the yeast to get going, and the wort might need to warm up a bit before it does, but the beer should be okay.

Rick

Back