finished my first AG and have one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becksbolero2

Reaction score
alright so I just finished what seemed like a relatively successful first atempt at all grain. I was going for something like deshutes brewery hop trip beer. I used a wort chiller for the first time chilled the batch in about 17 minutes which I know can improve, but it beats 35 minutes without one. going from my kettle into the primary bucket I just filtered through a strainer,shook it a bit to aerate and then dumped the yeast and stuck it in the corner. So the question is ....... about 5 minutes later I came to check out the temp and noticed that about an inch layer of sediment had already formed at the bottom. I can't tell for sure whats going on down there because it's in a bucket and I can't see it clearly, but there is for sure something down there......so is this supposed to happen so quickly ? I know that junk will fall out of suspension throughout the primary, but this just seems really quick to me. If this is not normal is it bad to let the wort sit on top of that stuff while it's fermenting. and I know i know RDHBWD i had quite a few already as may be evident in my spelling/grammar.

appreciate the help guys

~joe

What you are likely seeing is yeast. I usually see the yeast fall to the bottom as it is gathering strength. Once the little guys have enough energy (and buddies) to eat the sugars, they float to the surface and begin munching away.

I have never noticed the yeast hitting the bottom. I would guess that you have hot and cold break protein along with some hops settling out. A strainer doesn't do that great of a job of keep some of that stuff out. I use a strainer also and I know a good amount can make it through, unless I use a very fine strainer which just clogs up really quick.

It is nothing I would worry about, it will probably get kicked up a bit when the yeast start to go crazy, but the trub will settle out when the yeast start to wind down and then it will all get covered with the flocullated yeast.

Back