Finished gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulinuke

Reaction score
OK here's my dilema, mystout has stopped at 1.020, it was supposed to finish a little lower at 1.012. I have confirmed that it has stopped and not just slowed down by checking it several times. It spent 1 week in primary and then 2 weeks in secondary. I am going to leave it in secondary for a few more days but on wednesday I am moving and it has to be bottled that day. It tastes really good for being flat and warm, but it is really good. Is this gravity too high, ie. bottle bombs or did something halt fermentation. There was no big temp fluctuations or anything else that should have halted/stopped the process. Paul

What was your OG and which yeast did you use? It could be your yeast is all finished. It's also possible if you used extract you used one of the less fermentable varieties (they don't all ferment to the same degree). If the SG has been stable for a few days you are probably ok to bottle though.

bradsul said:
What was your OG and which yeast did you use? It could be your yeast is all finished. It's also possible if you used extract you used one of the less fermentable varieties (they don't all ferment to the same degree). If the SG has been stable for a few days you are probably ok to bottle though.

My last beer, (also my first) finished high. Was supposed to be 1.012 and stuck at 1.018. I ended up with a 4.5 abv and it was one of the best beers my picky @ss has ever had. If it doesn't finish, don't worry about it. If it taste good, drink it. :tank:

Back