Finished bottling and discovered I used Maltodextrin, not priming sugar. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvandint

Reaction score
I thought I bought a large bag of priming sugar this evening when, in fact, I bought maltodextrin.

I only realized I bought the wrong stuff while cleaning.

Everything is capped and tucked away.

Will I get any carbonation?

Should I open all of the bottles and poor them back into a bucket and add priming sugar and redo the whole thing?

Any advice is appreciated.

I gues this guy is in order:confused:

Maltodextrin is not very fermentable, so you will probably not get any carbonation. You could redo it, but if you're not careful you risk oxidizing the beer.

You might try adding carbonation tablets instead - it's more expensive than sugar but you won't have to bottle everything again.

Maltodextrin is only slightly fermentable, it depends a bit but in general only about 5%. So you'll need to reprime. You could pick up some carb drops at this point to reduce oxidation, though you could carefully pour back into your bottling bucket an bulk prime - just drink it fast.

Thanks for the tip. So, there shouldnt be any bottle bombs then?

I guess the plus side is that I thought my pale ale could use a little more body.

rvandint said:
Thanks for the tip. So, there shouldnt be any bottle bombs then?

I guess the plus side is that I thought my pale ale could use a little more body.

No bottle bombs, if you were carbing way at the high end you - you could drop the amount of new priming sugar about 5%, otherwise you should be fine.

Back