Finished 2nd brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
I just finished my second brew ever. Brewer's Best American Pale Wheat. I'm just waiting for the wort to cool down so I can pitch my yeast. This was my first time using a Brewer's Best kit, as my first one was a simple Cooper's kit. I loved it... the instructions were very clear, all the ingredients seemed fresh and good to go. I will be doing more of their kits in the near future. I also used, for the first time, a turkey fryer for my boil. I thought I could use it for the whole brew, but I couldn't get the temperature low enough to steep my grains. So I did that on the stove in a smaller pot, and then transferred that to the fryer and continued the boil. For the most part I really enjoyed using the fryer. I need to learn to use it better, but it was nice to be outside. I got some charcoal going and grilled some salmon while I was out there brewing. Nothing better than brewing, drinking beer, and grilling all at the same time. :rockin: Anyway, just thought I would tell my tale. I'm ready to get the yeast pitched and fermenting. Then I'll be figuring out my next one. So long :mug:

Haha awesome man, sounds fun. I always enjoy brewing too. I'd like to try picking up a turkey fryer to brew in. Why couldn't you get the temps low enough?

Well no matter what there was too much propane getting to it to bring it down to 150. I couldn't get it under like 170. But for the boil it was awesome.

Well no matter what there was too much propane getting to it to bring it down to 150. I couldn't get it under like 170. But for the boil it was awesome.

Next time you steep grains, you can simply put the muslin bag into the pot when it gets above 120*F or so, let the water temp get up to 160*F, turn the burner off, cover it and let it sit for 30 min.

Steeping isn't really temp dependent as is mashing.

Next time you steep grains, you can simply put the muslin bag into the pot when it gets above 120*F or so, let the water temp get up to 160*F, turn the burner off, cover it and let it sit for 30 min.

Steeping isn't really temp dependent as is mashing.

good advice

and congratulations on successful brewin' and grillin'

my last brew day involved simultaneous rib smokin'

Ah my next project is going to be a drum smoker. Can't wait to smoke some brisket! Gotta get projects done now because I'm getting married in July. I've heard not as many "man projects" get done after that lol!! By the way, I've heard when steeping, if it get above 170* the grains can release tannins. Of course I don't know as much as y'all.

Congrats! You don't want to get grains above 170, but you can keep them in there at lower temps as the water warms up, no issues.

Yeah but what I'm saying is, with a turkey fryer, the temp shot up pretty quick. If I had put my grains in at 120, I don't think I could turn it off before it hit 170. But maybe so... I'll try it next time. Hopefully this week sometime. I have groomsmen coming to town for a whole week! Lol!!

Latest posts

Back