Finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREGORGREGOR

Reaction score
Anyone got any experience using either of these to clear a cloudy batch. I would wait longer but I am moving. This is my first time so I didn't know how long I would have to wait for it to clear without finings.

I have fermented a Coopers Pilsner kit in a 5 gallon fermenter. I need to get this bottled within a few days for move. Gravity has been the same now for 2 consecutive days.

Any advice that could help me as the instructions are terrible.

Thanks in advance
1526659466097.jpeg

Either of those should help or even just unflavored gelatin. Chilling will also help settle out the yeast and trub quicker. Do both and it will really clear it up.

Either of those should help or even just unflavored gelatin. Chilling will also help settle out the yeast and trub quicker. Do both and it will really clear it up.
That's great. The instructions are for wine on the bag..do I just pour right into the fermenter? Thanks for your help again.

Add bag A (probably kieselsol) first, wait for a while (an hour) and add the second one(probably chitosan that is equivalent to isinglass/gelatin). Wait for 24-72hrs to see some clarification. If you can chill the beer it may be a good idea, the interactions between beer components and finings may be stronger and you are able to see the amount of chill haze that hasn't dropped yet so you can decide if you are ready with the fining.

Add bag A (probably kieselsol) first, wait for a while (an hour) and add the second one(probably chitosan that is equivalent to isinglass/gelatin). Wait for 24-72hrs to see some clarification. If you can chill the beer it may be a good idea, the interactions between beer components and finings may be stronger and you are able to see the amount of chill haze that hasn't dropped yet so you can decide if you are ready with the fining.
Thanks for your help. I fortunately I can't chill it yet maybe next batch once I get another fridge[emoji2] would you advise to wait longer nearer the 72hr mark as my fermenter is not see through.
Thanks again.

I haven't used chitosan myself but when fining with related silicagel + gelatin system, it took between two and three days (at low temperature) to get rid of all the chill haze. Yeast could drop faster, though and your system may behave in a different way.

I haven't used chitosan myself but when fining with related silicagel + gelatin system, it took between two and three days (at low temperature) to get rid of all the chill haze. Yeast could drop faster, though and your system may behave in a different way.
Ok. I'll Just keep a close eye in it. Appreciate the help!

Back