Fine residue in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I'm getting a fine residue / cloud in my bottles that have been sitting for 9 months.
Probably yeast but it's so fine that when you move the bottle or pour, it comes out into the glass and then the drink looks messy like it has bits in it.
Should I have racked a 4th time at bottling?

I'm getting a fine residue / cloud in my bottles that have been sitting for 9 months.
Probably yeast but it's so fine that when you move the bottle or pour, it comes out into the glass and then the drink looks messy like it has bits in it.
Should I have racked a 4th time at bottling?

If the cider was totally completely clear when it was bottled, and not naturally carbonated in the bottle (which produces some sediment), with no sediment at all on the bottom of the carboy, it was not too early to bottle.

If the cider wasn't totally clear at bottling and was still dropping lees, it was too early to bottle.

Bottle conditioned (carbonated) cider will drop some lees, just like homebrewed beer will. It can be minimized but will always be there.

If the cider was totally completely clear when it was bottled, and not naturally carbonated in the bottle (which produces some sediment), with no sediment at all on the bottom of the carboy, it was not too early to bottle.

If the cider wasn't totally clear at bottling and was still dropping lees, it was too early to bottle.

Bottle conditioned (carbonated) cider will drop some lees, just like homebrewed beer will. It can be minimized but will always be there.

I added dextrose at the point of bottling.
I guess my problem is that because of the sediment, it's not making a clear cider no matter how carefully I pour.

I added dextrose at the point of bottling.
I guess my problem is that because of the sediment, it's not making a clear cider no matter how carefully I pour.

Yeast choice has an effect on that. Some yeasts create tightly packed sediment that sticks to the bottom of the bottle, others make light fluffy sediment that is impossible to leave behind when pouring.

I have two bottles in my fridge of apple jack. I made a high ABV cider several years ago. After several months in the secondary I freeze concentrated it then bottled. The last two bottles have this milky sediment on the bottom. Not sure what that is!

Attached.
It's not a contaminant since I'm drinking it fine :)
But I'm only getting 350ml from every 500ml bottle since I can't pour any more without clouding up my drink.
By the way, the 2 pictures are holding the bottle vertically.

20170624_180148.jpg

20170624_180202.jpg

Because you are adding dextrose at bottling to carbonate the bottles, there will be some sediment. Waiting longer before bottling will minimize it, but there will always be some. Waiting longer before bottling will make a HUGE difference, though!

Make sure when you pour to pour in one motion, the whole bottle at one time, so that you don't stir up the bottom. Then simply discard the last 1/4" inch when you start pouring yeast.

Because you are adding dextrose at bottling to carbonate the bottles, there will be some sediment. Waiting longer before bottling will minimize it, but there will always be some. Waiting longer before bottling will make a HUGE difference, though!

Make sure when you pour to pour in one motion, the whole bottle at one time, so that you don't stir up the bottom. Then simply discard the last 1/4" inch when you start pouring yeast.

These were in secondary for around 4 months.

Just moving the bottle stirs it up into 2" of cloud at the bottom it seems.

Or just mix it before you pour and dink the sediment too. It really seems to bump up the flavor in my Scottish cider.

It really doesn't look like sediment though. Sediment is more dusty or granular. This is like suspended globules.

Left in fridge overnight to settle. The cloud is still 2" thick from bottom of bottle up

Dunno what that is. Sediment from carbonating is normally just a dusting at the bottom of a bottle, not 2" thick. And since you had 4 months in secondary, there would have been very little yeast at bottling. This is strange. What does the goop look like if you pour it into a bowl?

Back