Finally starting my single tier build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One quick comment on metal thickness. While it does add weight, consider something in the 11ga area so you can drill\tap and easily hang windscreens, secure black pipe, etc.

Todd

That's cool mash paddle holder...

I was thinking control panel too...
I am trying to come up with ways to mount my control panel and may be stealing that idea...:D

I am running a hybrid system. Started out gas and analog thermometers. Then added a RIMS tube with a PID controller. That’s when a small controller box came into play. Now just rebuilt my controller to house 3 PID controllers. 1 for RIMS and the other 2 are just for monitoring temps at the moment.
It really is never ending… :drunk:

Pics of my rig...

That looks amazing jafo!! I have been having really good luck with direct fire and maintaining mash temps. I have a quasi RIMS system setup with a pump that runs throughout the whole mash time recirculating. Plus I do BIAB so I run the thing full throttle and get really good efficiency and thorough temps throughout. With this setup I could essentially do a whole barrel of beer in one day if I do BIAB in about the same amount of time I would only be able to do a max 11 gallon batch on my one burner system.

With 2 runs under my belt on my new single tier system, maintaining mash temps have been challenging with the direct fire. I notice I need to turn on the flame every 15 minutes for like 2 minutes, rinse and repeat. If I get side tracked, it's off by a lot and I have to readjust.

With 2 runs under my belt on my new single tier system, maintaining mash temps have been challenging with the direct fire. I notice I need to turn on the flame every 15 minutes for like 2 minutes, rinse and repeat. If I get side tracked, it's off by a lot and I have to readjust.

That's why many of us doing direct fired RIMS use a temperature controller. If you set the MLT up to do a continuous recirculation, you can then have a temp controller fire the burner on/off as needed to maintain the temp. If you have your burner on full blast for heating the strike water, make sure to turn it down while it is maintaining the temp with grain in there. Otherwise you might scorch the wort/grain with too much heat applied at once.

That's why many of us doing direct fired RIMS use a temperature controller. If you set the MLT up to do a continuous recirculation, you can then have a temp controller fire the burner on/off as needed to maintain the temp. If you have your burner on full blast for heating the strike water, make sure to turn it down while it is maintaining the temp with grain in there. Otherwise you might scorch the wort/grain with too much heat applied at once.

I never do high heat on the MLT. It's usually on lowest or near lowest setting when the temp drops. I turn it on for like 2 minutes, then its off for another 15, rinse and repeat. I'd love to do the temperature controller, but that'll have to be next year when I get a few extra bucks again to make improvements. I didn't think I had a RIMS, but I guess it sort of is.

Back