Finally ready for first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm finally ready to brew my first brew (now I have my mother of a fermentation chiller to control fermentation temperature). However, I have a hard time deciding what to brew first. I want a beer who would be ready quickly -- approximately two months. It's my first brew, so I want something fast to quickly know if I can get my beer right. So I won't brew any barley wine for a first brew... ;)

I'm going for extract.

I'm presently drinking a lot of porters and stouts, and I'm pretty sure I want to start with one of these kinds. Any suggestions? A good classical sweet stout/porter or chocolat stout which isn't too hard to do (as it's my first brew, I want to keep it simple and stupid to know if I can do simple things right).

I was thinking of the Sparrow Hawk Porter from Papazian's book. The Goat Scrotum Ale seems good, but I'm not too sure about it as it gives a lot of versatility, and I prefer a straightforward recipe to begin with.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

WOW! You have started with what I think is one of the most important aspects of brewing - ferm temp control!

Do something with a straight-forward bill (K.I.S.S.), a good yeast, good ferm temp and aging and I don't think you could go wrong.

WOW! You have started with what I think is one of the most important aspects of brewing - ferm temp control!

Do something with a straight-forward bill (K.I.S.S.), a good yeast, good ferm temp and aging and I don't think you could go wrong.
Yeah, as I tend to read a lot before starting something, I read on these boards that fermentation temperature control was important, so before starting off in august, I decided to do a MoFC, which combined to my session in university halted me for a long time before doing my first brew. If I am to do something, I'm better off doing it right (especially for beers)!

Now, I've checked the recipes database. I think this one might be good! It LOOKS simple enough (and I think SWMBO would love it if I do it right!)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/

The only problem is the steeping... in the oven??? I've never seen anything like it before. I'm used to Papazian's book in which he tells us to steep the grains in water at a designated temperature. Will it greatly alter the taste if I do it Papazian's way (same temp as in the recipe, but in water)?

I've never seen it in a brewing recipe, but it's actually a great idea. Maintaing a constant temperature on the stove top is difficult and even further to prevent stratification (where different layers are at different temperatures). I would use the stove top to reach approx 150 deg and then pop it in the oven, preheated to 150.

When I make french onion soup, I place the sliced onions in a dutch oven for several hours until they're caramelized and then complete the deglazing on the stove top - Alton Brown suggests making roux in the oven for a consistent temperature and less chance of scorching.

I say go for it as an experiment.

This is all assuming the grains are in water in the oven.

Steeping in the oven is a good idea in cold weather IF your oven can hold 150-170F and your pot fits.

I've never seen it in a brewing recipe, but it's actually a great idea. Maintaing a constant temperature on the stove top is difficult and even further to prevent stratification (where different layers are at different temperatures). I would use the stove top to reach approx 150 deg and then pop it in the oven, preheated to 150.

When I make french onion soup, I place the sliced onions in a dutch oven for several hours until they're caramelized and then complete the deglazing on the stove top - Alton Brown suggests making roux in the oven for a consistent temperature and less chance of scorching.

I say go for it as an experiment.

This is all assuming the grains are in water in the oven.
Well, I've checked and my oven doesn't go below 170F, which is too high. I guess I'll steep on the stove top...

Back