Finally made my hop spider today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgstiffler

Reaction score
Using a plate chiller today so I couldn't put off the hop spider any longer. I tried out a few different bags and found that a disposable paint strainer bag that I can buy in bulk down the street works perfect. I can just unclip the bag and toss it after brewing.

Materials:
hopspider1.jpg

Finished:
hopspider2.jpg

Yeah, I tested it out with some weight already. They hold pretty well. No slipping while the bag stretched. Will definitely have to pay attention to it though. I was going to use binder clips, but the store only had small flowery ones.

I do like the idea of using the metal band. Where'd you get that?

Over time, the nuts and washers started to show rust on mine. I replaced the threaded rods with a single rod of copper right through the band. The advantage was that I can just slide it out when I'm done... the whole thing stores away in my boil pot.

It's a cake ring from Amazon. How long did it take for the nuts and washers to rust?

About a year. They were galvanized from home depot. SS wouldn't rust of course. I got rid of all the metal because the thing was to bulky, not because of the rust. Like I said, now I can just slide the pipe out and put in kettle.

About a year. They were galvanized from home depot. SS wouldn't rust of course. I got rid of all the metal because the thing was to bulky, not because of the rust. Like I said, now I can just slide the pipe out and put in kettle.

What pipe?

Back