Finally kicked my apricot ale from Feb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindflux

Reaction score
Finally kicked the keg of it's last drop, cleaned it and my beer lines/faucet, sanitized the keg and racked my vanilla porter to it.

I can't wait to chill this puppy down and hit it with some CO2. Should be a tasty tasty beverage. ooh mama

You have your recipe for your apricot ale?? After visiting Magic Hat brewery, I need to make a Frew Brew #9!

FrewBrew said:
You have your recipe for your apricot ale?? After visiting Magic Hat brewery, I need to make a Frew Brew #9!

I can post it, but to be honest it wasn't that close. (I had my friend mail me a 6pack from the east coast to TX). The new Charlie P. book has a recipe 'right from the horses mouth' so to speak.

FrewBrew said:

I'll post the Magic Bolo #9 recipe from Papazian's new book if you want it. Mindflux is right, supposedly he got it right from the source.

Magic Bolo 9.1

7lbs pale malt
1lb crystal malt (15-L)
1/4oz Warrior Hops 16% AA 60 minutes
1/4oz Cascade Hops 5% AA 5 minutes
1/2oz Tettnanger Hops 1 minute
1.25 fl. oz Apricot Essence (secondary)
1/4 Teaspoon Irish Moss

WYeast Ringwood #1187 or other British/English ale yeast

The directions for this have step infusions. I'm not sure why with all of todays modified grains.. but here it is.

Add 8 quarts of 140 degree water and stabilize to 132 for 30 minutes. Add 4 quarts of boiling water and stabilize at 155 for 30.

Raise temp to 167 lauter and sparge with 3.5gallons of 170 degree water.

Interesting steps over all. "raise temp to 167" almost sounds like a decoction.

Stepping at 132H & 155F maximizes the production of fermentable sugars. It won't leave much behind for body, but I assume that is what is desired. Raising the temp. to 167F at the end of the mash shuts down the enzymes & the extra heat makes it a little easier to dissolve any remaining sugar.

Single temperature mashes produce a nice balance of fermentables and body.

FrewBrew said:

I just finished off my apricot ale also. I traded one with Scott and he wrote a detailed critque here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3282

I dont think it was a clone of anything in particular, but the author/creator won several awards with in in competitions. If your interested in the recipie let me know.

david_42 said:
Stepping at 132H & 155F maximizes the production of fermentable sugars. It won't leave much behind for body, but I assume that is what is desired. Raising the temp. to 167F at the end of the mash shuts down the enzymes & the extra heat makes it a little easier to dissolve any remaining sugar.

Single temperature mashes produce a nice balance of fermentables and body.

I realise what step mashes do, however most grains are fully modified now that those lower end mashes aren't needed. That's why a lot of folks hit for 150-160 and don't bother with the 130s.

I know what 167 does too, but he talks about raising the temp and THEN sparging. He makes no mention of the volume required to mash out (raise to 167).. so to me it sounds almost decoction-like. (note that adding 170 degree water to a 155 degree mash will not yield a 167 degree mash) the strike temp isn't high enough.

Mindflux said:
Magic Bolo 9.1

7lbs pale malt
1lb crystal malt (15-L)
1/4oz Warrior Hops 16% AA 60 minutes
1/4oz Cascade Hops 5% AA 5 minutes
1/2oz Tettnanger Hops 1 minute
1.25 fl. oz Apricot Essence (secondary)
1/4 Teaspoon Irish Moss

WYeast Ringwood #1187 or other British/English ale yeast

The directions for this have step infusions. I'm not sure why with all of todays modified grains.. but here it is.

Add 8 quarts of 140 degree water and stabilize to 132 for 30 minutes. Add 4 quarts of boiling water and stabilize at 155 for 30.

Raise temp to 167 lauter and sparge with 3.5gallons of 170 degree water.

Interesting steps over all. "raise temp to 167" almost sounds like a decoction.
Does anyone know how much DME that translates too?

Does anyone have a complete translation to extract for this? I'd really like to try making one, but dont have the equipment for AG

--sorry for bringing back an old thread.

Heres an apricot ale I used.

Apricot Ale

Ingredients
3lbs. Muntons wheat dry malt
2.2lbs. Coopers wheat malt extract (liquid)
Nottingham dry ale yeast
4oz. Apricot extract
¾ cup corn sugar (priming)
1 oz. Tettnanger hop pellets 60min
1 oz. Tettnanger hop pellets 10min

Steps:
1. Add malt extracts to 2 gal boiling water.
2. Add 1 set of hops, boil for 50 min
3. Add 2nd set of hops, boil for 10 min
4. At total boil of 60 min remove heat and let cool.
5. Pitch yeast at 80 or below
6. Ferment between 65-70
7. Ferment in primary for 1 week
8. Add apricot extract into secondary while racking beer to secondary.
9. Bottle after two weeks in secondary.
10. Reccomended aging in bottles is six to eight weeks although I aged it 4 weeks and drank the majority of it.

Latest posts

Back