Finally improved efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
After hanging around in the lower 70% range, I brewed Thursday at 84%. The only thing that I did differently was that I put the grain through my mill twice. Mayabe I need to adjust the settings. :)

No. I have been following what I believe is Bobby Martin's techniques of a mash out with near boiling water to get about 1/2 my boil volume followed by 2 equal sparges to get the remainder. This brew was a Pale Ale using a total grain bill of 9.5 lbs.

After hanging around in the lower 70% range, I brewed Thursday at 84%. The only thing that I did differently was that I put the grain through my mill twice. Mayabe I need to adjust the settings. :)

I remember reading this post, and it just so happens the same thing happened to me.

I use a mill at my LHBS store, because they let you crush for free. I have consistently gotten around 75-77% efficiency with bobby_m's double batch sparge method. I was happy with it, consistency is more important than a high efficiency. Anyway, I milled some grain on friday and noticed it was a much better crush with way more flour.

I just put the #'s in and I got 88% into the boiler (82% brewhouse).

I attribute this 100% to the mill being adjusted. I always milled the grain twice with the way it used to be, and this time I couldn't because it was too
"fluffy".

Just reinforcing that Crush is most likely the cause to efficiency woes

My first AG batch last weekend I got 69% eff into the boiler. The grains were from AHS and they milled it also. After reading all the posts on low efficiency and the importance of crush i ordered a Barleycrusher from Northernbrewer. I adjusted the gap to .034 from the factory setting of .039. My efficieny into the boiler yesterday was 87%. I double batch sparged and used the same method as my first AG batch. What a difference a decent milling makes.

Latest posts

Back