Finally hit that WOW batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Been brewing for almost a year now, extracts then a couple all grains under my belt. All the beers were drinkable and quite a few were well received by the vets in the brewclub and guests, etc. They were all average enough for me that I could take or leave them compared to commercial brews.

FINALLY, the batch to end the debate in my mind came along. This was an American Amber. It's been carbing for a week now and I can't stop myself from taking pulls from the kegger.

I'll post the recipe Monday when I get to work (beertools files there). I just had to share the glorious results immediately.

Congrats Bobby! Awesome. I'll be watching for that recipe. I've had a couple 'much better than average' batches lately (all AG ones), and I am pretty pumped, too -- so I can relate a bit. I can't wait to brew 'the one' though!!! :)

I was reading so many posts about people's house recipies and I thought to myself, "when am I going to hit a recipe I'd want to repeat?" This amber and the previous AG batch (German Pils) will be brewed again... Horray.

That's great. Anecdotally, It always seems like the BINGO recipes tend to have either amarillo or cascade hops in them...

my cascade hopped IPA was the beer that has convinced me never to rely on commercial beers alone.

Bobby_M said:
Levi lost his half in a car accident going home that day. RIP.

Now THAT made me just a little bit sick in the stomach...

Was he okay?

Nice recipe by the way. My Nierra Sevada is loaded with cascade and I swear..if they made a deodorant out of that stuff, I'd start wearing deodorant. :D

Did your accidental high temp give this a bit maltier taste? Sometimes it's the accidents that lead us to success.

egerrish said:
That's great. Anecdotally, It always seems like the BINGO recipes tend to have either amarillo or cascade hops in them...

I'm glad to hear that! We just tasted the hydro sample from our first partial mash (an Amarillo APA based on the AG version in the recipe database here) a few days ago and it was fantastic. We dryhopped with a further oz of Amarillo, so we should be all up in that BINGO moment in about 6 weeks or so!

BierMuncher said:
Now THAT made me just a little bit sick in the stomach...

Was he okay?

Nice recipe by the way. My Nierra Sevada is loaded with cascade and I swear..if they made a deodorant out of that stuff, I'd start wearing deodorant. :D

Did your accidental high temp give this a bit maltier taste? Sometimes it's the accidents that lead us to success.

He was fine but since the airbags deployed, it had to be towed to the impound. Apparently the crash sent the airlock flying so it sat in the hot car for 3 days with no airlock. It would have been banana amber anyway in that heat.

I don't know that the short time at elevated mash temp did much because it still finished out at 1.014 which was only a point higher than I expected. I actually have to force myself to brew a few without any cascade because it's so easy to go to on every batch.

Back