Finally have a spot for my HBT sticker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
After doing a few extract brews and a couple partial mashes I am ready to go all grain. I had everything to start going all grain except for the mash tun so I picked this up the other day...

mash_tun7.jpg

Eventually I'll get a couple kegs to cut up for a HLT and kettle and I'll build a stand. Until then, I'll use what I've got...

Thanks everyone from HBT who have answered my noob questions and helped me get to this point!

cracked1 - what size valve have you got on your cooler?

I drilled out the hole a bit and put in a 1/2" valve. I think most people use a 3/8" nipple/valve since it fits without modification and you can still use the stock seal. I had most of the hardware already in 1/2" so I made it work...

Do you notice a difference in volume flow from 3/8 to 1/2? Did the rubber gasket thingy still fit with the 1/2 nipple or did you use something else?

I haven't done any actual measurements but I think there is more flow between my 1/2" and a friends 3/8". Whether it's enough to warrant the extra work and parts is probably debatable. I already had the 1/2" parts so it worked for me... You can't use the rubber gasket with the 1/2". I had a dishwasher that I had to replace recently and I was lucky enough to salvage seals and a couple other parts from it that worked perfect. For example, the white disk that is kind of visable behind the metal washer is what the spinning arm inside the dishwasher was clipped on to...

Back