Finally had a Rogue brew I can be excited about! (Santa's private reserve)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Yes, I know it is heresy for many of you, but I will say it. The few Rogue beers I have had the price to yum ratio has been pretty low in the yum side.

Just have not been all that impressed. Could be something about shipping across country I suppose.

Yesterday I somewhat reluctantly grabbed a bottle of Santas Private Reserve. Reluctant because a) Rogue had failed to impress for the price before and b) I tend to shy away from anything Christmas/winter/holiday for fear of something that tastes like a friggin fruitcake. I did not know what to expect this beer to be.

Well, I was delighted! YUM! Nice and super hoppy and slightly roasty deliciousness!

I will be going back for a whole 6'er soon!

On the pleasant surprise "X-mas" brew front, I also picked up a Bah Humbug.

Also very nice. Yummy English yeast character, not too much though. I did not think it was "spiced" but perhaps I am wrong. Maybe I can be converted to spice beers if someone tells me it is? I thought it had some spicy nature but it seemed to be yeast and hop driven.

Good to hear! I have one ready in the 'fridge!

I also like the Shakespeare Stout. The rest is, well, nothing special.

Good to hear! I have one ready in the 'fridge!

I also like the Shakespeare Stout. The rest is, well, nothing special.

Yeah, I have heard so much about the Shakespeare stout. Had to try it. I was not too excited about it. Although I am not really a fan of "Americanized" stouts or porters. To me, the citrusy American hops just don't blend well with dark roasted malts. Just my taste. Give me a nice American Hop bomb pale type beer and yum!

I tried most of the Rouge beers. One of them was decent but I can't remember what it was.

It could be a freshness issue... on tap is better than bottle, I'm close to Oregon, so my bottles may be fresher. Or, my taste could be different!

I have never found the Stout to be hoppy... more roasty, coffee and smooth.

wouldn't you know it. I bought a 6'er today. Not so good. It may be the beer, it may be me. It was F'ing delicious the other day. I grabbed the 6 pack right behind the one I grab from on Saturday (cause that only had 3 left in it) but it should be the same batch.

Kind of has a metallic twang to it now.

Bummer.

Back