FINALLY doing an oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Going to toast/roast the oatmeal today, and brew next week. Just to be sure of a few things:

1. I have Old Fashioned Quaker Oats, the sort that boils for five minutes when you're making breakfast; is that the right kind? Would their Quick oats - the kind that you only boil for one minute - be better?

2. Planning on roasting at 300º F for an hour, turning every 15 minutes; sound about right? (After that, the oats will be in a bag, off-gassing for five days)

3. My oven does convection, as well as regular roasting. Will convection work?

4. Not sure if I'm going to use Yooper's recipe or Jamil's (they look pretty similar). Both use a pound of oats for a five gallon batch; for Yooper's that's 9.09%, for Jamil's it's 9.7%. Any thoughts on upping it to 1.5 pounds and adding rice hulls?

Thanks!

I'd highly recommend making yooper's oat stout as-is. It's the only recipe i've rebrewed time after time without changing. The stuff will make you fat though. Be careful.

As far as the oats, you want the 1-minute stuff. That stuff is already cooked and fully gelatinized so it just needs to be heated.

My recipe is similar to Jamil's- that was what I was going to brew but I had to use what I had, so I changed it up to use my own stuff. That, and I like a "coffee" roast a bit more than a roasted barley roast, if that makes sense.

I didn't toast my oats (never have, actually), but I was after the slick mouthfeel, and not the oats flavor so much.

After that, the oats will be in a bag, off-gassing for five days

Throwing a question back at you...why off-gas for 5 days? I have a oatmeal stout that I have brewed several times. I roast the oatmeal in the oven with the idea that I am adding some character to the beer (though I would not be surprised if it is not detectable). I usually put them in the morning of brew day while heating water, then into the mash they go. I used Flaked Oats, which I think work the same way as "Quick Oats".

I have Old Fashioned Quaker Oats, the sort that boils for five minutes when you're making breakfast; is that the right kind? Would their Quick oats - the kind that you only boil for one minute - be better?

Either kind of oats will work but the quick oats are rolled finer so you get full conversion quicker as the starches gelatinize very fast. Old fashioned may work better if they are cooked first to make sure the starches all gelatinize.

I've used quick and old-fashioned oats interchangeably - I haven't noticed a difference in a 60-minute mash. No need to cook old-fashioned oats first.

I also use straight up rolled oats in my stout, no toasting or cooking, I just toss them in after everything is milled up.

I'm always playing around with how much to use. I think I have found one of those 18oz packages works great but I love an oaty stout!

Usually use 2 row, crystal 60, rolled oats, roasted barley, and chocolate malt. Comes out great every time. Good luck!

Gordon Strong just did a write up in BYO on this style. It eludes me as to why at the moment but i believe he recommends not using the instant variety of oatmeal

Gordon Strong just did a write up in BYO on this style. It eludes me as to why at the moment but i believe he recommends not using the instant variety of oatmeal
I went back and skimmed the article. His thoughts are that quick oats are highly processed and possess little flavor. He does also recommend using Quarker Oats, just not the quick version. Best of luck with the recipe. Oatmeal Stout is one of my longtime favs.

I've been using un-toasted oatmeal in my brews, how does toasting change the properties of the oats, are they still good for body? Also, I make toasted oats for breakfast on top of the stove, basically just stirring it on high heat until it gets the toastiness that I like, would a similar process work?

I also use straight up rolled oats in my stout, no toasting or cooking, I just toss them in after everything is milled up.

I'm always playing around with how much to use. I think I have found one of those 18oz packages works great but I love an oaty stout!

Usually use 2 row, crystal 60, rolled oats, roasted barley, and chocolate malt. Comes out great every time. Good luck!
bobeer- that sounds delicious ! whats your proportions on that recipe? My son was up north at the old LHBS yesterday and picked me up a few things . One of which was some chocolate malt from the orphan bin . I had a pre-prohibition porter in mind but they were low on the 6row I need.
Last oatmeal stout I made ( 5gal AG kit) I added 1 lb of oats, it already had 1 lb in it (supposedly) I'd like to roast some for another batch.

My recipe is similar to Jamil's- that was what I was going to brew but I had to use what I had, so I changed it up to use my own stuff. That, and I like a "coffee" roast a bit more than a roasted barley roast, if that makes sense.

I didn't toast my oats (never have, actually), but I was after the slick mouthfeel, and not the oats flavor so much.

Thanks! What type oats do you use...Old Fashioned, or Quick Oats?

(Quick Oats aren't the same as "Instant". Definitely not using Instant).

I’ve always used quick oats too, my thinking is that a higher percentage of the starches will be converted compared to old fashioned oats.

Back