Finalizing my Cascadian Dark Ale (India Black Ale) Recipe, please advise experts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Type: All Grain Date:
Batch Size : 11.00 gal

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.0 %
4 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 16.0 %
2 lbs Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.0 %
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 15.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 9.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 5.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.0 IBUs
4.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Summit [17.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1 TSP Gypsum Added to Mash Water
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Bitterness: 61.0 IBUs C
Est Color: 33.9 SRM
Mash at 150.0 F 75 min
2 liter WLP001 Starter

I am going for an intense citrus hop tangerine/grapefruit aroma with some pine/spice in the background from the 30 minute nugget addition. What do you all think of the hop schedule? I have soft water so I usually add a little gypsum, but I am unsure if I still should with the dark malts, unsure about water chemistry.

I'd still add gypsum to help the hops pop. Depending on when you add the carafa might affect your mash pH but won't help your sulphates which is why you add the gypsum. If you're really concerned with the water you should get a water report and use one of the water calculator spreadsheets around here. Also, I always add the carafa III in just the last 15 minutes of the mash so that it doesn't add too much roast flavor. I like my black IPA's with just a hint of roast and no chocolate. The hop schedule looks ok to me.

I would dial the Carafa III down to 1 pound, unless you want it REALLY dark, or use 2 lbs of Carafa II. Also, increase the pale a little bit to get some more alcohol, or add some dextrose at the end of the boil. IPAs should be at least 7%, IMHO. :)

Cheers!

I would dial the Carafa III down to 1 pound, unless you want it REALLY dark, or use 2 lbs of Carafa II. Also, increase the pale a little bit to get some more alcohol, or add some dextrose at the end of the boil. IPAs should be at least 7%, IMHO. :)

Cheers!

I too think that I should crank up the ABV to at least 7. I could make some inverted sugar to kick things up a notch or two

I used 8 oz of Carafa II along with 4 oz chocolate in a 5 gallon batch, and it is very dark. 2 lbs would suck the light from the room.

I'm going to continue the opinion that Carafa III should be dialed back a bit, but I can't second the opinion on the ABV. I like the beer for the flavor, though, not the buzz, ergo less ABV equals more I can drink and not be impaired. I would also move the Nugget to 20 min. I feel like you'd start to lose some of that note you're looking for with 30 (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

On another note, this recipe sounds mightily like a Black IPA recipe, not a Cascadian Dark Ale or India Black Ale...

Just saying.

I don't get involved in the discussions on what style of beer this is.

Nugget moved to 20 is a great idea.

I will move the carfa III to 10 minutes left in the mash, and I will knock it back to 24 oz........

I have had some bad(onion beer) and very good (musky tangerine) experiences with Summit hops, I am hoping for tangerine with the late addition. Fingers crossed. On another note, my WLP001 starter is now on the plate and stepped up to 3 liters.....

I'm going to continue the opinion that Carafa III should be dialed back a bit, but I can't second the opinion on the ABV. I like the beer for the flavor, though, not the buzz, ergo less ABV equals more I can drink and not be impaired. I would also move the Nugget to 20 min. I feel like you'd start to lose some of that note you're looking for with 30 (please someone correct me if I'm wrong).

On another note, this recipe sounds mightily like a Black IPA recipe, not a Cascadian Dark Ale or India Black Ale...

Just saying.

I thought they were all different names for the same thing?

They are (whether correct or not...) all names for Black IPA.

I was just trying to stir a hornet's nest. Apparently I got no takers :drunk:

Back