Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Check fg today and it was 1.010 @ 20c. 3 days ago it was the same @ 22c.
OG was 1.038, so it looks like the abv is only 3.75% when it should be 5% for a coopers apa extract kit. the beer is clearer so shall I just ho ahead and bottle it? it seems a bit watery but if left another week in the FV will it improve at all?

I did a cooper euro lager and the OG was a disappointing 1038. I got an fg of around 1008. So around a 4% lager. I quite liked the final result, compared to your average commercial Ale. It tastes something like a carlsberg / Heineken to me. I like that slight skunk taste on a lager.

In all my extract brews, I find the OG have been a little low. you could improve that by just adding less than the recommended 23 Liters of water. 5 gallons. Conversely, use a little more fermentable sugar. Perhaps experiment with adding a little DME or LME which may also give variation in the final taste. Someone more experienced than me can comment on whether that is worth while.

Still, even though I have lower ABV beers, all my home brewed beer is as good as, if not better than anything I buy at the store.

I just did a red ale extract kit and used a little more DME to get an OG of 1048. Kit aims for a 1042. I had 1.8 extract, a little left over glucose syrup, and a KG bag of a Muntons starter kit. It all added up to 3.25 kg of fermentable, which elevated my OG. I should also add that I made sure my DME and starter kit where completely dissolved when I mixed them together. My fg is now around 1010, so I will have around a 5% beer. Interested to see if it tastes much different than my other reds. I might try reduce my water to 20L in future extracts to see if I get a fuller taste. Will surely get a higher ABV when I do.

Last edited:
I may have over filled slightly beyond the 23l mark

ahh...

well if your after that 5% there's always glucoamylase...it will bring it down to 1.000 FG...otherwise i'd say bottle and enjoy, carbonation will give it some bite...

(did you add the "beer enhancer"? :))

I may have over filled slightly beyond the 23l mark

"Slightly" could mean different things. Extract has a known ppg - points per pound per gallon. If you use the specified amount of extract and the final volume is correct, it will be exactly the OG that the kit shows. Slight overfill reduces the OG slightly - in proportion to the volume ratio.

If you added top-off water, that is normally responsible for a low OG reading. It's very hard to mix thoroughly enough to get a representative sample. In the past, I kept mixing and taking samples until the hydrometer showed the specified OG. Later I stopped sampling and just used the calculated OG.

"Slightly" could mean different things. Extract has a known ppg - points per pound per gallon. If you use the specified amount of extract and the final volume is correct, it will be exactly the OG that the kit shows. Slight overfill reduces the OG slightly - in proportion to the volume ratio.

If you added top-off water, that is normally responsible for a low OG reading. It's very hard to mix thoroughly enough to get a representative sample. In the past, I kept mixing and taking samples until the hydrometer showed the specified OG. Later I stopped sampling and just used the calculated OG.

and this is a cooper's kit, which for some strange reason requires the addition of sugar....or as they call it "beer enhancer"...lol, that's why i asked...

Check fg today and it was 1.010 @ 20c. 3 days ago it was the same @ 22c.

Does this mean the hydrometer read 1.010? If so, the 22C reading needs to be corrected. If your hydrometer is calibrated to 20C, then that reading doesn't need correction, but some are calibrated to 15C. This website has a temperature correction factor: https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/
and this is a cooper's kit, which for some strange reason requires the addition of sugar....or as they call it "beer enhancer"...lol, that's why i asked...

Yes, I should have added that sugar also has a known ppg - my bad.

Back