Final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xamanek

Reaction score
If my batch has remained at the same FG for a week even though the instructions say 2 weeks is it ready? Started at 1.055 and after 48 hours of heavy action it is and has been at 1.014 since with no change. Should I bottle?

How long has it been since you put it in the fermenter? You should probably let it sit at least a week after the FG is stable, just to let your beer clear and the yeast to clean up the fermentation byproducts.

I've gotten 1.055's down to 1.010-1.012 regularly. Maybe swirl up some yeast & give it another week to be sure it doesn't need to knock off a couple points yet.

Thanks guys I boiled last Friday 12/13 and it's been steady since last Sunday. I'll mix it up a bit and wait some

At this point is the yeast on the bottom? And I should give it a few stirs?

xamanek said:
If my batch has remained at the same FG for a week even though the instructions say 2 weeks is it ready? Started at 1.055 and after 48 hours of heavy action it is and has been at 1.014 since with no change. Should I bottle?

If you are certain that it has hit FG and the yeast have cleared then you are good to bottle. The yeast are finished once they hit FG AND have cleared. It won't hurt to leave it in for a week or two longer, but it won't do much either if the yeast are finished. Any conditioning after the yeast are finished can be attained in a keg or bottle.

If you really want to know for sure then give it a taste. If you don't detect any off flavors (butter, green apples, etc) and the yeast have cleared then you are done.

Fermentation may be done, but I agree with Newsman and unionrdr, another week in the primary will not hurt anything and you might get closer to 1.012 or less prior to bottling.

What is the temperature of your FV? If it has cooled down significantly, your yeast may be going dormant depending on the yeast used?

If you do stir, do so gently so as not to introduce oxygen. I don't know if it would help or not, but you might boil up a couple cups of water and add some yeast nutrient, then when it's cooled down, pour that into the wort. But wait and see if someone more experienced comments on that suggestion. I'm somewhat new (been brewing for a bit over a year, but not many batches) so take my advice with a grain of salt. :)

Gentle stirring at this point is def a good thing,so as not to oxygenate the fermenting beer. You'll wind up with either sherry-like flavors,or more commonly,musty cardboard in a damp basement flavor & smell. I usually don't need yeast nutrient at that point when I've had that problem a time or two.

Back