Final Gravity too High!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sahuaro

Reaction score
This is the second time making this brew. It is from BYO's replicator of Dragon's Milk brown ale in the Sept.2009 issue.

The reoccuring issue I have is being able to reach a approx. final gravity of 1.016. My original gravity was right on both times. The first time I ended up bottling after 4 1/2 weeks of fermentation at a gravity of 1.024.

I currently have a gravity of 1.024 on my second batch after 2 weeks of fermentation and holding steady. I've come to realize the the yeast I'm using seems to be the issue (dry yeast S-33). By the way I repitched with the same rehydrated yeast 3 days ago with minimal results.

After deeper research I realized the the S-33 strain is known for its high final gravity. something I am not looking for and probaly should have researched before using this on a higher gravity beer. (original garvity of 1.068)

S-33 is a yeast i've used many times with good results, both in taste and attenuation, but not with this brew.

So, here is my question. does anyone have any input on a dry yeast strain that I can pitch on this brew without completely altering the end result, but bring my final gravity closer to my goal?

From what I've read on here, racking an under-attenuated beer on top of another beers yeast cake is the most effective option. If you have another beer in your pipeline that is almost done fermenting with a clean neutral yeast (like us-05), you can just rack on top of that.

Back