Final gravity seems off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runswithlightning

Reaction score
I'd my first all grain, a dogfish 60 minute clone. My og was right around 1.042 and my final gravity appeared to be 1.020. Did I do something wrong in the process or am I reading the hydrometer wrong. Do I need to take a sample out and take a reading or can I put the hydrometer right in my bucket?

How long has it been? might not be done yet.
Should be ok sticking hydrometer right in bucket as long as you sanitize.

Wait a few days after the last reading and reread again to check for a change.

I put it in the primary two weeks ago, let it go until it "finished" fermenting(no more bubbles at least then I moved it to secondary to dry hop it for a week. After two weeks total I checked the gravity and it was at 1.020.

Are you reading your hydrometer sample at 60 degrees? If not you have to compensate for the temperature difference. Your hydrometer should have come with a compensation chart.

I put it in the primary two weeks ago, let it go until it "finished" fermenting(no more bubbles at least then I moved it to secondary to dry hop it for a week. After two weeks total I checked the gravity and it was at 1.020.

Depending on which yeast you used, you may have removed the beer from primary before it was done fermenting. Bubbles can not be used to indicate if fermentation has "finished". Gravity is the only way to do that.
Your hope now is that you have enough yeast in your secondary to work the rest of sugars. Leave it there for another week or two and check the gravity again.

i had a possibly similar situation but with extracts. i used the wrong combo and i wound up with way too many nonfermentables and gravity that fell from 1.050 to 1.020 when fermentation ended. It was not really sweet more heavy and low in alcohol.

I'd my first all grain, a dogfish 60 minute clone. My OG was right around 1.042 and my final gravity appeared to be 1.020. Did I do something wrong in the process or am I reading the hydrometer wrong. Do I need to take a sample out and take a reading or can I put the hydrometer right in my bucket?

Sounds like your first Ag did not go so well. Most likely you had an issue with your mash temps. Most dfh 60 clones OG is in the 1.065 range and can finish anywhere between 1.010 and 1.018 depending on how you mash. You will be able to drink what you have but it will be one sweet Hopper 2.9% beer.

So when you are ready please list the recipe and ALL the steps you did to brew this one.

Probably first try problems... I don't think my mash temp was high enough. I didnt account for temperature loss in my mash water when I added it to the grain. Does that make sense?

Probably first try problems... I don't think my mash temp was high enough. I didnt account for temperature loss in my mash water when I added it to the grain. Does that make sense?

Yeah, depending on your water/grain ratio, your mash temp will be 10-20 degrees less than your strike water temp, so you could have been down in the 130s/low 140s for your temps.

The water temp was just above 152 before I added the grain. I didn't think to account for the grain absorbing some of the heat. So it was probably around 137. I tried adding some boiling water to raise it but it must not have been enough. Lessons learned I guess.

Back