final gravity is too high (i think)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elchico04

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am currently brewing a chocolate coffee stout. I am planning on adding the coffee and cacao nibs in the secondary fermentation.

My initial gravity is 1.072. The problem is that after a week of primary fermentation I have been stuck at 1.032 for 3 days now. I think my problem was not letting the dry yeast I used fully rehydrate so it may have been strained. The beer tastes too sweet to me at 1.034 so I was wondering if pitching more dry yeast is the right move here.

On hand I have a couple packets of dry yeast I got with a munton's wheat can of extract. Would this be okay, or should I just go to the LHBS and buy another packet of the same yeast I used initially (US-05)?

Thanks for taking time help me out.

1) Don't pitch the wheat yeast, that will give you some characteristics you are not looking for in a coffee stout
2) Have you tried gently agitating the vessel to get fermentation going again. I think that would be your best bet to get it going again, especially since the gravity is still so high.
3) If your fermentation started and pumped it down .040 points, I wouldn't worry about having stressed your yeast. Its set and ready to go, a little agitation should get it back in suspension and reactivate it

alright, sounds good. i'll give it a swirl.

I had a feeling using the yeast that came with the wheat kit was a bad idea. But, there isn't really any wheat specific yeasts that come dry or are there?

+1 on da shwirl.

Also, if you're fermenting in the lower 60's, you might want to edge up a couple-few degrees to give it a hand.

US-05 is a pretty solid yeast. +1 on the swirl idea, I'm guessing you'll see near immediate activity. It's like thanksgiving day when you need a few mins before round 2 or 3.

Back