Final gravity @ 1.002-003... Sinlge Malt/singe hop. what the??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
Anyone ever run into a really low final gravity? I brewed a single malt, single hop...

10.5 pounds of vienna malt
3 oz of centennial(1 oz @ 60 min, 1 oz @ 10 min and 1 oz @ 2 min)
one packet of dry Safale us-05.

I mashed at 152 for 60min, in a keggle wrapped in insulation wrap... it dropped to 149 at the end of 60min. I sparged, had it get stuck and had to scoop a bunch of grain into a bucket to clear the jam in my pickup tube...

I forget the volumes of water, it was for a 5 gallon batch, accounting for 2.25 gallons of boil off(i use a keggle and its a cloud maker) My final volume was 5.75 gallons(1.045) I was shooting for 1.060.

I fermented since jan 17th in a 64-68 degree range. I took a reading today, before going to secondary to cold crash it, and i'm at 1.003 ish on a hyrdometer. Has anyone got an explanation as to how it got this low?? I was thinking it would be in the 1.014 range.

It doesn't have any off flavors that I could tell, obviously being green and uncarbonated... nothing growing in my fermenter...

Thats a long low temp mash. Perfect for making a very dry, low final gravity beer. If there was no mash out (raising temp to 168+ at the end of mash conversion), the enzymes will continue breaking up dextrines into fermentables until the boil kettle temp reaches the denaturing temp.

I did a 3.5 gallon SMaSH with US 2-row, cascade and US-05 and had the same thing happen. I mashed at 155 for 60 minutes. Finished at 1.002 and I just bottled it last night.

At least I shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs.

You got that low at 155?? I'm thinking it is time to really calibrate my thermometers, just in case.

I guess all that time I spent fiddling with my clogged pickup tube meant that the first gallon of runnings just sat there making more fermentables, as did the bottling bucket full of grain and water. Hopefully its just a freak thing. I still missed my gravity but I'm thinking thats because I Didn't boil off as much. I just sent it to secondary, it smells fine.... didn't taste super astringent like... so maybe I'm just getting bonus ABV to make up for the lower OG.

We'll see how it does not that it's bottled. I am curious to find out. The hydro sample wasn't at all bad or watery like I had feared.

Hey guys, I just finally kicked this keg last month. This beer turned out fantastic. No real weird flavors and it wasnt super dry on the tongue. I'm going to re-brew this and see if I can nail that OG I was aiming for. I'll mash a little higher to dry and get some more mouthfeel(It felt a little watery but was nice and crisp). I had a Troegs Pale ale, and it tasted a lot like that, I think mine tasted a little better in my slightly prejudiced opinion!

Back